share aspx across web applications

Jon Paugh

Hi,

If I have several aspx pages that I want to share across
multiple web applications, how would I organize them?
Basically, a subset of the pages on a given site will be
on several sites. These pages will interact with a
database, check security, etc.

I have seen this KB article:

but my concern is how to handle authentication +
authorization on the shared virtual directory? Putting a
virutal directory under the current web app and have this
virtual directory point to another asp.net web app seems
like a cute way to do share some user controls but not a
way to handle pages that do anything meaningful...

Any ideas?

Jon Paugh

Chris Jackson

One thing you can do is build a dll and then install this dll into the GAC.
Note, however, that your declarative code won't be included in the compiled
dll (these are compiled on the fly - only the code behind is pre-compiled)
so you'll have to do your dirty work in code instead of using the nice
designer, but it is an effective alternative. Another option is to actually
just call the pages you want from an internal object that can post to the
page, and then just render the HTML that is returned.

Jon Paugh

Thanks for response.

I know about using custom controls and putting them in
the GAC, but in this case it really is a pain. I have
what is essentially a seperate sub-application that will
be common to several apps (it will setup users, setup
customer info, etc - admin functionality). I think coding
this as custom controls is more trouble than its worth.

The idea of using a sort of proxy object is interesting.
How would it work exactly? Wouldn't I still have to put
quite a bit into this proxy?

Chris Jackson

Check into System.Net.WebClient - you can use this class to get information
from a web page, and then add it to the InnerHtml of wherever you want to
place it.

--
Chris Jackson
Software Engineer