Shared memory between servers.

pedro.baldanta

Hi all:

I was thinking about this question all weekend. It's possible to have
shared memory or objets or repository of objets between servers??

Imagine this: I want that all servers (several) have same data (an
array for example). If one server change a value, this value change for
all servers, if another server add item, this item is added for all
servers.

This could be interesting for cluster app, etc.

Any idea?

Farrel Lifson

Hi all:

I was thinking about this question all weekend. It's possible to have
shared memory or objets or repository of objets between servers??

Imagine this: I want that all servers (several) have same data (an
array for example). If one server change a value, this value change for
all servers, if another server add item, this item is added for all
servers.

This could be interesting for cluster app, etc.

Any idea?

Drb could fit the bill:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/drb/rdoc/index.html

It's in in the standard lib.

Farrel

Eyal Oren

Hi all:

I was thinking about this question all weekend. It's possible to have
shared memory or objets or repository of objets between servers??

Imagine this: I want that all servers (several) have same data (an
array for example). If one server change a value, this value change for
all servers, if another server add item, this item is added for all
servers.

This could be interesting for cluster app, etc.
check memcached [1], a cache shared over multiple servers; it can be used
for what you want, but it may very well be an overkill. A ruby binding
available at [2].

-eyal

[1] http://www.danga.com/memcached/
[2] http://www.deveiate.org/projects/RMemCache/

ara.t.howard

Hi all:

I was thinking about this question all weekend. It's possible to have
shared memory or objets or repository of objets between servers??

Imagine this: I want that all servers (several) have same data (an
array for example). If one server change a value, this value change for
all servers, if another server add item, this item is added for all
servers.

This could be interesting for cluster app, etc.

Any idea?

you want a tuplespace. it's part of drb, which ships with ruby.

-a