Sharing file resources accross multiple websites

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by AndyGarcia, Dec 23, 2008.

  1. AndyGarcia

    AndyGarcia Guest

    Hi there.
    I have a problem in design I need to address.

    I have 6 websites which all provide identical content, except that the
    they are branded differently, ie each website is for a different city. I
    have the city name in the web config for each website, and thus the
    value is simply read from the WebConfig and brands each website differently.

    Unfortunately every time I make a change to one of the pages for one
    website I have to upload it to the six different locations (even though
    the content is the same apart from the city name).

    All of the websites are hosted on the same server and I have direct
    access to IIS. Is there anyway I can simplify this so that I can store
    the content in one location on the server, yet share it across Six
    different domains and still keep my branding in each website via the
    webConfig (or other means?). Ultimately I want each website to behave
    seamlessly as a separate domain, especially in the eyes of Google for
    ultimate SEO potential.

    http://forums.asp.net/p/1027123/1401854.aspx
    AndyGarcia, Dec 23, 2008

  2. On Dec 23, 9:47 am, AndyGarcia <> wrote:
    > Hi there.
    > I have a problem in design I need to address.
    >
    > I have 6 websites which all provide identical content, except that the
    > they are branded differently, ie each website is for a different city. I
    > have the city name in the web config for each website, and thus the
    > value is simply read from the WebConfig and brands each website differently.
    >
    > Unfortunately every time I make a change to one of the pages for one
    > website I have to upload it to the six different locations (even though
    > the content is the same apart from the city name).
    >
    > All of the websites are hosted on the same server and I have direct
    > access to IIS. Is there anyway I can simplify this so that I can store
    > the content in one location on the server, yet share it across Six
    > different domains and still keep my branding in each website via the
    > webConfig (or other means?).

    Why don't you use one website under IIS with 6 host headers? In this
    case in the application you can identify each site using its domain
    name, for example:

    if (HttpContext.Current.Request.Url.Host.ToLower() ==
    "www.domain1.com")
    else
    Alexey Smirnov, Dec 23, 2008

  3. AndyGarcia

    AndyGarcia Guest

    Alexey Smirnov wrote:
    > On Dec 23, 9:47 am, AndyGarcia <> wrote:
    >> Hi there.
    >> I have a problem in design I need to address.
    >>
    >> I have 6 websites which all provide identical content, except that the
    >> they are branded differently, ie each website is for a different city. I
    >> have the city name in the web config for each website, and thus the
    >> value is simply read from the WebConfig and brands each website differently.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately every time I make a change to one of the pages for one
    >> website I have to upload it to the six different locations (even though
    >> the content is the same apart from the city name).
    >>
    >> All of the websites are hosted on the same server and I have direct
    >> access to IIS. Is there anyway I can simplify this so that I can store
    >> the content in one location on the server, yet share it across Six
    >> different domains and still keep my branding in each website via the
    >> webConfig (or other means?).

    > Why don't you use one website under IIS with 6 host headers? In this
    > case in the application you can identify each site using its domain
    > name, for example:
    >
    > if (HttpContext.Current.Request.Url.Host.ToLower() ==
    > "www.domain1.com")
    > {
    > else

    Because this is not my exact problem. I've copied a very similar one
    from asp.net forum.

    It's a website that has an offer of items and management for those.
    Other many sites will be resellers of those items and access the very
    same database.
    Items have pictures (many) and all other sites need access to those
    images (same as database, but database is easy to share).

    I got an idea to make normal directory and a virtual one for each of
    those sites pointing to the original one.

    Any better solution?

    Or linking photos via url?
    AndyGarcia, Dec 23, 2008
  4. On Dec 24, 12:22 am, AndyGarcia <> wrote:
    > Alexey Smirnov wrote:
    > > On Dec 23, 9:47 am, AndyGarcia <> wrote:
    > >> Hi there.
    > >> I have a problem in design I need to address.

    > >> I have 6 websites which all provide identical content, except that the
    > >> they are branded differently, ie each website is for a different city. I
    > >> have the city name in the web config for each website, and thus the
    > >> value is simply read from the WebConfig and brands each website differently.

    > >> Unfortunately every time I make a change to one of the pages for one
    > >> website I have to upload it to the six different locations (even though
    > >> the content is the same apart from the city name).

    > >> All of the websites are hosted on the same server and I have direct
    > >> access to IIS. Is there anyway I can simplify this so that I can store
    > >> the content in one location on the server, yet share it across Six
    > >> different domains and still keep my branding in each website via the
    > >> webConfig (or other means?).

    > > Why don't you use one website under IIS with 6 host headers? In this
    > > case in the application you can identify each site using its domain
    > > name, for example:

    > > if (HttpContext.Current.Request.Url.Host.ToLower() ==
    > > "www.domain1.com")
    > > {
    > > }
    > > else

    > Because this is not my exact problem. I've copied a very similar one
    > from asp.net forum.
    >
    > It's a website that has an offer of items and management for those.
    > Other many sites will be resellers of those items and access the very
    > same database.
    > Items have pictures (many) and all other sites need access to those
    > images (same as database, but database is easy to share).
    >
    > I got an idea to make normal directory and a virtual one for each of
    > those sites pointing to the original one.
    >
    > Any better solution?
    >
    > Or linking photos via url?

    Ok, let me understand this. One common database, one common directory
    of images, the same ASP.NET application, and many domain names, right?
    So, why my suggestion will not work then? I think it should work. Of
    course, a virtual directory could help too, but this would be probably
    more or less the same solution. And for that matter, a SEO potential
    could be not that high, I would say. All resellers sites would have
    the same content and especially by Google it can be a problem. Plus
    all sites will be on the same IP
    Alexey Smirnov, Dec 24, 2008
  5. AndyGarcia

    AndyGarcia Guest

    Alexey Smirnov wrote:
    > On Dec 24, 12:22 am, AndyGarcia <> wrote:
    >> Alexey Smirnov wrote:
    >>> Why don't you use one website under IIS with 6 host headers? In this
    >>> case in the application you can identify each site using its domain
    >>> name, for example:
    >>> if (HttpContext.Current.Request.Url.Host.ToLower() ==
    >>> "www.domain1.com")
    >>> {
    >>> }
    >>> else

    >> Because this is not my exact problem. I've copied a very similar one
    >> from asp.net forum.
    >>
    >> It's a website that has an offer of items and management for those.
    >> Other many sites will be resellers of those items and access the very
    >> same database.
    >> Items have pictures (many) and all other sites need access to those
    >> images (same as database, but database is easy to share).
    >>
    >> I got an idea to make normal directory and a virtual one for each of
    >> those sites pointing to the original one.
    >>
    >> Any better solution?
    >>
    >> Or linking photos via url?

    > Ok, let me understand this. One common database, one common directory
    > of images, the same ASP.NET application, and many domain names, right?
    > So, why my suggestion will not work then? I think it should work. Of
    > course, a virtual directory could help too, but this would be probably
    > more or less the same solution. And for that matter, a SEO potential
    > could be not that high, I would say. All resellers sites would have
    > the same content and especially by Google it can be a problem. Plus
    > all sites will be on the same IP

    No, no...

    - one common database
    - one common directory of images
    - one management ASP.NET application

    - many "client" ASP.NET applications using common database and common
    directory of images

    - common database
    and
    - common directory of images

    would just be providers of part of the data in client website offers.

    Yes, those would "interpret" data a bit differently to enhance SEO, but
    essentially it's the very same data in major part.
    Sites would be on different IPs, even differently geo-marked IPs (COM,
    EU, FR, TK, DE, CO.UK...)
    AndyGarcia, Dec 26, 2008
  6. On Dec 26, 12:02 pm, AndyGarcia <> wrote:
    > Alexey Smirnov wrote:
    > >> Because this is not my exact problem. I've copied a very similar one
    > >> from asp.net forum.

    > >> It's a website that has an offer of items and management for those.
    > >> Other many sites will be resellers of those items and access the very
    > >> same database.
    > >> Items have pictures (many) and all other sites need access to those
    > >> images (same as database, but database is easy to share).

    > >> I got an idea to make normal directory and a virtual one for each of
    > >> those sites pointing to the original one.

    > >> Any better solution?

    > >> Or linking photos via url?

    > > Ok, let me understand this. One common database, one common directory
    > > of images, the same ASP.NET application, and many domain names, right?
    > > So, why my suggestion will not work then? I think it should work. Of
    > > course, a virtual directory could help too, but this would be probably
    > > more or less the same solution. And for that matter, a SEO potential
    > > could be not that high, I would say. All resellers sites would have
    > > the same content and especially by Google it can be a problem. Plus
    > > all sites will be on the same IP

    > No, no...
    >
    > - one common database
    > - one common directory of images
    > - one management ASP.NET application
    >
    > - many "client" ASP.NET applications using common database and common
    > directory of images
    >
    > - common database
    > and
    > - common directory of images
    >
    > would just be providers of part of the data in client website offers.
    >
    > Yes, those would "interpret" data a bit differently to enhance SEO, but
    > essentially it's the very same data in major part.
    > Sites would be on different IPs, even differently geo-marked IPs (COM,
    > EU, FR, TK, DE, CO.UK...)

    Well, then I think using a virtual dir is the only way to fix this.
    Alexey Smirnov, Dec 30, 2008
  7. AndyGarcia

    AndyGarcia Guest

    Alexey Smirnov wrote:
    > On Dec 26, 12:02 pm, AndyGarcia <> wrote:
    >> Alexey Smirnov wrote:
    >>> Ok, let me understand this. One common database, one common directory
    >>> of images, the same ASP.NET application, and many domain names, right?
    >>> So, why my suggestion will not work then? I think it should work. Of
    >>> course, a virtual directory could help too, but this would be probably
    >>> more or less the same solution. And for that matter, a SEO potential
    >>> could be not that high, I would say. All resellers sites would have
    >>> the same content and especially by Google it can be a problem. Plus
    >>> all sites will be on the same IP

    >> No, no...
    >>
    >> - one common database
    >> - one common directory of images
    >> - one management ASP.NET application
    >>
    >> - many "client" ASP.NET applications using common database and common
    >> directory of images
    >>
    >> - common database
    >> and
    >> - common directory of images
    >>
    >> would just be providers of part of the data in client website offers.
    >>
    >> Yes, those would "interpret" data a bit differently to enhance SEO, but
    >> essentially it's the very same data in major part.
    >> Sites would be on different IPs, even differently geo-marked IPs (COM,
    >> EU, FR, TK, DE, CO.UK...)

    > Well, then I think using a virtual dir is the only way to fix this.

    Yes, that is the way I did it. Seemed most logical to me.
    AndyGarcia, Dec 30, 2008