Sharing same cookie between server and client

arijitdas

Hi,

We have an ASP.NET 2.0 web application where we want to share few user
specific data between server and client side code using cookie. We are
seeing a very strange behavior that it does not work consistently.
Sometimes we are getting the latest value set from server in client
script, sometimes were are getting a wrong (previously set old) value.
In other words, the values in client and server is not in sync.

Can anybody suggest what are the parameters we should be checking to
debug this? We are using the same cookie name with the same 'path' in
both server and client side code. Client browser IE6.

Thanks!

Anthony Jones

Hi,

We have an ASP.NET 2.0 web application where we want to share few user
specific data between server and client side code using cookie. We are
seeing a very strange behavior that it does not work consistently.
Sometimes we are getting the latest value set from server in client
script, sometimes were are getting a wrong (previously set old) value.
In other words, the values in client and server is not in sync.

Can anybody suggest what are the parameters we should be checking to
debug this? We are using the same cookie name with the same 'path' in
both server and client side code. Client browser IE6.

Have you got a small repro for this I can't reproduce it. IE always has the
latest value of the cookie as sent by the server, and I can't see a way the
Server won't send a Set-Cookie header when the cookie is modified.

Is it possible that where you expect a cookie to be changed by server side
code serving a request it isn't because a cache is supplying the response
instead. Could be the client cache, a proxy or even the Response cache on
the server.

arijitdas

Have you got a small repro for this I can't reproduce it. IE always has the
latest value of the cookie as sent by the server, and I can't see a way the Server won't send a Set-Cookie header when the cookieis modified.

Is it possible that where you expect a cookie to be changed by server side
code serving a request it isn't because a cache is supplying the response
instead. Could be the client cache, a proxy or even the Response cache on
the server.

Yes, Anthony I was also thinking that the client cache might be
causing the problem, but again that seems to be unusual... Can you
please suggest a way to check this or a fix for this? I tried by
cleaning the browser cache. No luck.

Here's a bit more details of the problem: We have a page/code (say
Page1.aspx) that gets called for all client request and we apply
custom user authorization there. We are using a cookie to keep the
user credential information (combination of form authentication cookie
and some other custom information). This cookie is shared between
global.asax, Page1.aspx and client script. We create the cookie in
Page1.aspx, update it conditionally in global.asax and read it from
client script. When we try to read the value in client script, we are
seeing that it's having the value set in Page1.aspx. Even if we are
modifying the same cookie in global.asax, that value is not reflecting
in client script. As an alternative, if we create a new cookie from
global.asax, we can easily get the correct value. But we don't have
any clue of why it's behaving that way!