shopping for an html editor

Lisa

I've been using homesite 4.5/homesite for probably 7 years, so it's
been awhile since I've looked at any other software. I'm only looking
now since I can't find my 4.5 upgrade for homesite to use on my
laptop.
Here are some things I'd like to have - some that were available in
the SGML software I used ages ago but haven't seen in HTML software.
-integrated ftp that only uploads pages you have changed
-link checking
-orphan file/image checking
-html validation
-css editor
-ability to map your own keyboard shortcuts
-it would be wonderful to have a tool that uncluttered MS html, or the
ability to remove all span tags, all attributes from p, etc. that's
what my authors write in.
-ability to select the contents of a tag with or without the tag
-find and replace across a whole project

I'm using windows vista. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Lisa wrote :
I've been using homesite 4.5/homesite for probably 7 years, so it's
been awhile since I've looked at any other software. I'm only looking
now since I can't find my 4.5 upgrade for homesite to use on my
laptop.

I recommend handcoding with an advanced text editor, otherwise - if
you're too accustomed to a WYSIWYG HTML editor - I recommend KompoZer 0.77.
Here are some things I'd like to have - some that were available in
the SGML software I used ages ago but haven't seen in HTML software.
-integrated ftp that only uploads pages you have changed

FireFTP 0.95.2.1 (latest version), an extension add-on for Firefox 2.
I've been using it for over 3 months now and highly recommend it.
http://fireftp.mozdev.org/
or

It's much better than current Nvu 1.0 Site Manager or KompoZer 0.77 Site
Manager.

-link checking

W3C link checker is the best tool I can recommend because it can detect
and report redirected links, not just "404 not found" or others.
http://validator.w3.org/checklink

Otherwise, I recommend and occasionally use
LinkChecker 0.6.1, an extension add-on for Firefox 2
http://www.kevinfreitas.net/extensions/linkchecker/
or

-orphan file/image checking

There must be a Firefox add-on extension for this or a developer toolbar.
-html validation

Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.77 can do that. Otherwise HTML validation (latest
version for true SGML parsing is 0.8.3.9), a Firefox add-on extension
can do that.

or
http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/index.html

What I like about HTML validation 0.8.3.9 is that it can work offline
and can also report HTML Tidy warnings.

I use HandCoder 0.3.4 when upgrading severely broken webpages.
-css editor

KasCades (CSS editor) from within KompoZer 0.77 has a CSS editing tool.
Nvu 1.0 also has CasCades (CSS editor) .
-ability to map your own keyboard shortcuts
-it would be wonderful to have a tool that uncluttered MS html, or the
ability to remove all span tags, all attributes from p, etc. that's
what my authors write in.

Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.77 have a built-in Markup cleaner feature. I use
HandCoder 0.3.4 with the latest HTML Tidy (April 2007) for poorly
written webpages. So, you can customize how much cleaning (pretty
printing, removing, replacing, etc.) you want: Tidy is highly configurable.

You may want to read my post in another thread in this newsgroup on this
(Subject line was: Standard HTML by open-source WYSIWYG editor?).
-ability to select the contents of a tag with or without the tag

Interesting request...otherwise I don't understand what you're looking
for. I'm not sure if any web authoring editor can do that with a single
click.
-find and replace across a whole project

Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.77 can do that. Lots of other web authoring tools
or advanced text editors can also do that.
I'm using windows vista. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa

I recommend KompoZer 0.77

http://kompozer.net/

until Composer 2 is released. KompoZer 0.77 and Composer 2 (when it will
be released) are open-source software, free software,
translated/localized software, multi-platform software, with a bunch of
extensions available. Otherwise, hand-coding webpages with an advanced
text editor is what I recommend.

Gérard

John Hosking

Gérard Talbot said:
I recommend KompoZer 0.77.
FireFTP 0.95.2.1 (latest version), an extension add-on for Firefox 2.
Otherwise, I recommend and occasionally use LinkChecker 0.6.1
Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.77 can do that. Otherwise HTML validation (latest
version for true SGML parsing is 0.8.3.9), a Firefox add-on extension
can do that.
I use HandCoder 0.3.4 when upgrading severely broken webpages.
KasCades (CSS editor) from within KompoZer 0.77 has a CSS editing tool.
Nvu 1.0 also has CasCades (CSS editor) .
Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.77 have a built-in Markup cleaner feature. I use
HandCoder 0.3.4
Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.77 can do that. Lots of other web authoring tools
or advanced text editors can also do that.
I recommend KompoZer 0.77

Talk about living on the Bleeding Edge of Technology! What do you do,
Gérard, *uninstall* software when it comes out of Beta? ;-)

paul

[...]

I use DW 8 and I'm very happy with it, but DW CS3 is out soon, so i'd
wait for that. (you'll be able to try it in about 6 weeks when Adobe
release the trial software)

Paul

patrick j

Here are some things I'd like to have - some that were available in
the SGML software I used ages ago but haven't seen in HTML software.
-integrated ftp that only uploads pages you have changed
-link checking
-orphan file/image checking
-html validation
-css editor
-ability to map your own keyboard shortcuts
-it would be wonderful to have a tool that uncluttered MS html, or the
ability to remove all span tags, all attributes from p, etc. that's
what my authors write in.
-ability to select the contents of a tag with or without the tag
-find and replace across a whole project

I would echo [0] those that suggest an advanced text editor. Looking at
your requirements you might be happier with that. Don't be put off by the
phrase "advanced text editor" because I think getting your head around
using one of these is easier than learning how to use a "WYSIWYG" editor
personally. I do have Dreamweaver (I got it for practically no money as I
work at a University) but I've never been much good at figuring it all out,
to me it seems to make life very complicated compared to just using a good
text editor. I can't suggest a text editor in particular for you because I
use a Mac and don't know the Windows world very well. However there are
many excellent text editors for Windows.

With the text editor you will want GREP (regular expressions) searching and
multi-file/disc searching.

The multi-file/disc searching will achieve the "find and replace across a
whole project" requirement you mention. If you haven't used GREP before you
will be surprised how easy it is to pick up. The basics can be learned in
an afternoon. It is easier to figure out than learning some new application
and once you have the idea of GREP it will be a great friend to you in
creating web-pages. With a fairly basic knowledge of GREP for example you
will easily be able to "remove all span tags" or "all attributes from p,
etc" or have the "ability to select the contents of a tag with or without
the tag" . An advanced text editor will most likely allow you to save GREP
expressions and so you can create your own custom "cleaning" expressions
suited ideally to your situation.

My text editor BBEdit (Mac only) does do FTP but in fact your FTP request
will be easily accomplished with a separate FTP client. My FTP client has a
"mirror" capability where it matches the contents of a file on my computer
with the directory on the server. So, it only changes the files that have
been changed. This is a common enough capability and I'm sure there are
even free FTP clients that will do this.

I don't know if the text editors for Windows include HTML validation
by-and-large but this is bound to be available. On my Mac I use the iCab
web-browser but once again this is Mac only.

[0] but not in a PHP kind of a way :)

Sid

: I've been using homesite 4.5/homesite for probably 7 years, so it's
: been awhile since I've looked at any other software. I'm only looking
: now since I can't find my 4.5 upgrade for homesite to use on my
: laptop.

Ask for the update, or download it? Isn't your registration details
current?

I would stick to Homesite as it's fabulous!

Sid

Toby A Inkster

Lisa said:
-integrated ftp that only uploads pages you have changed

FTP is an insecure protocol that sends your both password and your files
across the Internet unencrypted. I'd advise against using FTP and moving
towards something like SCP or SFTP.

Most hosts that support those protocols also support Rsync, which is a
fantastic tool for synchronising large collections of files. Not only does
it only copy across files that have been changed, for large files it
actually inspects *inside* the file and only sends across the *parts* of
the files that are different.

It's a command-line tool, but there are various GUI wrappers available for
it.
-link checking

I'd advise an online tool for this -- there are plenty of them, and
they'll save your bandwidth.

Try "Tidy said:
-find and replace across a whole project

Many text editors offer this. My current favourites are Nedit, SciTE and
TextWrangler.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

I use DW 8

How much DW 8 costs? And does it produce valid markup code out of the
box? Does it have the latest HTML Tidy built-in? Does it help fix CSS
parsing errors? etc.. You should expect a huge difference in
performance, quality, support, etc.. when buying a product like DW 8.

and I'm very happy with it, but DW CS3 is out soon

How many hundreds of dollars will it cost?
I ask this because I know that there are free open-source software
(FOSS) available out there which, thanks to extensions - also free,
upgradable, localizable -, can do as much as the latest DW can and
without the flaws and weaknesses of DW. That's my opinion.

Gérard

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Lisa wrote :
-it would be wonderful to have a tool that uncluttered MS html, or the
ability to remove all span tags, all attributes from p, etc. that's
what my authors write in.

Depending on what you want to remove, I can assure you that there are a
few free open-source software tools which can do uncluttering:

- KompoZer 0.77 markup cleaner will fix nested lists, remove trainling
empty table cells, remove empty blocks (like <p></p>). HTML Tidy will do
all this, except maybe fix nested lists

- HTML Tidy (April 2007 version) has to be your first tool because it is
mighty powerful and amazing at fixing severely poorly coded webpages.
The nice thing about HTML Tidy is that you can use it on a batch of many
webpages. It's highly configurable (with about 100 parameters possible: see
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html
)
and very powerful. I've used it for over a year now and definitely
recommend it. Around the web, you'll find lots of GUI programs for it.
For fixing 1 single webpage at a time, I use HandCoder 0.3.4
http://fabiwan.kenobi.free.fr/HandCoder/
from within KompoZer 0.77. HandCoder is not built-in in KompoZer: you
have to download it and install it. And you can download the latest .exe
available version of HTML Tidy here (in a .zip file):

http://www.paehl.com/open_source/?HTML_Tidy_for_Windows

There are GUI programs for Tidy which will fix many webpages in a batch:
you can also do this in a console window (command-line function calls).
I assure you that understanding how to use + configure HTML Tidy is
worth the trouble.

HTML Tidy will also fix validation markup errors but not all of them.
You'll still need to validate your webpages with a true SGML parser
software.

Gérard

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Gérard Talbot:
- KompoZer 0.77 markup cleaner will fix nested lists, remove trainling
empty table cells, remove empty blocks (like <p></p>). HTML Tidy will
do all this, except maybe fix nested lists

Thanks for the heads-up.

Such tools should _not_ be used without great discretion.

Apart from fixing nested lists, which is a vague expression and could mean
just about anything, all of these operations change the document and cause
largely unpredictable effects on its visual appearance.

For example, authors and editors often insert consecutive <br> tags to
produce some vertical spacing. That's a wrong approach, but so is the
operation of blindly removing them. The author wanted to create some
spacing, so the author should decide what to do. Maybe the spacing _could_
be removed. Maybe some simple CSS code should be added while removing the
tags.

know what will happen, and a simple program surely cannot know that. Maybe
the attribute is there for no good reason, but it's possible that it's there
intentionally, e.g. because some client-side script will change the
element's content to nonempty and the author wanted that content to be
right-aligned.
- HTML Tidy (April 2007 version) has to be your first tool because it
is mighty powerful and amazing at fixing severely poorly coded
webpages.

I didn't know there's a new version of Tidy; I thought the software was
effectively frozen. Now I'm afraid I need to take a look, and I'm afraid I
will be disappointed. When I last tested Tidy, it did _far too much_
"fixing", making wild assumptions and even changing simple presentational
HTML to awfully ugly and poorly structured tag soup in a CSS flavor as well
as changing my perfectly good ISO-8895-1 characters into messy "escapes".
The nice thing about HTML Tidy is that you can use it on a batch of
many webpages. It's highly configurable (with about 100 parameters
possible: see http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html
)
and very powerful.

That might be nice, but if the defaults for the parameters are poor, I
cannot really recommend it to most people. Few people will be capable of
setting, say, 50 parameters to reasonable values when the programmer was not
able to do that.
HTML Tidy will also fix validation markup errors but not all of them.
You'll still need to validate your webpages with a true SGML parser
software.

That sounds odd. If it is mightly powerful etc. etc., how come it can't do
the fairly simple job of SGML validation - at least with the DTD fixed to
one of HTML DTDs?

Chaddy2222

[...]

<rest of post snip>
Yes, the markup cleaner in KompoZer can cause some unwanted thing to
happen. As an example if you have an empty div which just contains a
wrapper / container for the entire page <div id="wrapper"</div> just
as an example. The mark-up cleaner in NVU / KompoZer will remove that
div and hence mess up your layout. Thankfully you can press control Z
to undo the changes, or click the edit menu and press Undo and the
page is back to normal, but a pain none the less.

Bergamot

Gérard Talbot said:
I recommend KompoZer 0.77

I might recommend KompoZer if it didn't mangle my nice clean code so
badly. It can't even keep the said:
until Composer 2 is released.

Which won't be for some time yet, but I do look forward to it.

My interest is providing clients that don't need anything as elaborate
as a CMS with a simple tool to edit their text once I've put their site
together. These are people who would try to do it themselves in MS
Publisher (ick!) if left to their own devices. For my purposes KZ does
badly, NVU does better.
hand-coding webpages with an advanced
text editor is what I recommend.

In a perfect world, sure. :)

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Bergamot wrote :
I might recommend KompoZer if it didn't mangle my nice clean code so
badly. It can't even keep the <title> straight. :(

Mangling with markup code is a nasty, annoying problem with Nvu and
KompoZer. All I can suggest is to install the add-on extension HandCoder
0.3.4 with the latest HTML Tidy

http://www.paehl.com/open_source/?HTML_Tidy_for_Windows

As I understand this, Composer 2 will be XUL-based and won't have that
mangling effect on the code.

Jukka K. Korpela wrote :
Scripsit Gérard Talbot:

Thanks for the heads-up.

Such tools should _not_ be used without great discretion.

Apart from fixing nested lists, which is a vague expression and could
mean just about anything,

All previous Mozilla Composer versions were not creating nested lists in
a valid manner. They were creating improperly nested lists like this:

<ul>
<li>first item at first level</li>
<ul>
<li>first item of second level</li>
<li>second item of second level</li>
</ul>
<li>second item at first level</li>
all of these operations change the document
and cause largely unpredictable effects on its visual appearance.

For example, authors and editors often insert consecutive <br> tags to
produce some vertical spacing. That's a wrong approach, but so is the
operation of blindly removing them. The author wanted to create some
spacing, so the author should decide what to do. Maybe the spacing
_could_ be removed. Maybe some simple CSS code should be added while
removing the tags.

Excellent suggestion. I know you and I have mentioned, talked about this
(arbitrary number of consecutive <br> should be better replaced with a
sensible CSS margin-bottom declaration) before in this newsgroup.
Composer 2 could have a feature like this: convert consecutive <br> into
a correspondent margin-bottom of/for the previous block-level element.

Same thing with "drop-empty-paras: specifies if Tidy should discard
don't know what will happen,

Maybe a better HTML Tidy documentation, support or FAQ or "how to use"
document should be developed so that users could see/understand how/what
a setting can do, will do.

and a simple program surely cannot know

People shouldn't use/trust blindly an application at first: they should
back up their work and then experiment.

Maybe the attribute is there for no good reason, but it's possible
that it's there intentionally, e.g. because some client-side script will
change the element's content to nonempty and the author wanted that
content to be right-aligned.

That would be rather rare, I'd say. Chances are, most of the time, the
left/center/right-alignment attributes were semi-automatically added by
a previous/older/other WYSIWYG HTML editor
I didn't know there's a new version of Tidy; I thought the software was
effectively frozen. Now I'm afraid I need to take a look, and I'm afraid
I will be disappointed. When I last tested Tidy, it did _far too much_
"fixing", making wild assumptions and even changing simple
presentational HTML to awfully ugly

It's possible... and that should be rare... otherwise you'd invited to
file a bug on this.
The difficult part with Tidy is finding the correct (for your needs),
best/optimal blend of parameters so that it minimizes "ugly fixes"
occurences.
and poorly structured tag soup in a
CSS flavor

What are your settings/parameters? Here are mine:

--char-encoding latin1 --clean yes --doctype strict --drop-font-tags yes
--drop-proprietary-attributes yes --enclose-block-text yes
--enclose-text yes --indent auto --logical-emphasis yes --replace-color
yes --show-warnings no --wrap 80

All these are the ones that needed to be changed (for me, for my task)
as I did not want their default value. All of the other parameters (some
70-80 parameters) in their default value are ok with me.
as well as changing my perfectly good ISO-8895-1 characters
into messy "escapes".

You need to check the char-encoding parameter
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html#char-encoding
and possibly change it from ascii to latin1 since the default is ascii

"Good iso-8859-1 converted into messy 'escapes'" could mean, most
probably mean that input-encoding and output-encoding are not (but
should be) synchronized.
"Tidy will accept Latin-1 (ISO-8859-1) character values, but will use
entities for all characters whose value > 127."
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html#char-encoding

My solution/proposal for you: use
--char-encoding latin1

The default values for both parameters (input-encoding and
output-encoding) are not synchronized... which is non-sense. If the
default value for input-encoding is latin1, then the default value of
output-encoding should be latin1 too.
That might be nice, but if the defaults for the parameters are poor, I
cannot really recommend it to most people. Few people will be capable of
setting, say, 50 parameters to reasonable values when the programmer was
not able to do that.

You shouldn't have to set 50 parameters... otherwise, it means the
default parameter value are often not best. I personally set only 12
parameters and I think I could even drop one or 2 when upgrading webpages.
I also think that HTML Tidy is not a good, recommendable tool for
totally new comers to HTML edition. A less powerful, less configurable
version of HTML Tidy might be recommendable for newbies though.

That sounds odd. If it is mightly powerful etc. etc., how come it can't
do the fairly simple job of SGML validation - at least with the DTD
fixed to one of HTML DTDs?

That is a suggestion, a certainly reasonable good suggestion.
Latest HTML Tidy (.exe) version is 102 KB; a true SGML validation fixed
to, say, HTML 4.01 strict DTD would probably be more than 600 KB, would
be more complex/longer to develop - not that fairly simple, as you say
-, would require a lenghty documentation, etc. With so many invalid
webpages out there, it is very much still worth the trouble to do this.
W3C people should have done this many years ago and made such product
free, open-source, easily available, easily embeddable in applications.

Many of the available WYSIWYG HTML editors (commercial ones or freeware
ones) do not have HTML Tidy built-in nor SGML parsing feature built-in
.... and that is a shame.

Gérard

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Chaddy2222 wrote :
<rest of post snip>
Yes, the markup cleaner in KompoZer can cause some unwanted thing to
happen. As an example if you have an empty div which just contains a
wrapper / container for the entire page

So, it's not an empty <div> then, right?

said:
as an example. The mark-up cleaner in NVU / KompoZer will remove that
div and hence mess up your layout. Thankfully you can press control Z
to undo the changes, or click the edit menu and press Undo and the
page is back to normal, but a pain none the less.

KompoZer's markup cleaner has "remove empty blocks" and it should only
remove markup like:

blocks

It shouldn't remove wrapping div or wrapping block-level elements.

--------------

HTML Tidy has another feature, somewhat similar.

merge-divs
http://tidy.sourceforge.net/docs/quickref.html#merge-divs

{
merge-divs: This option specifies if Tidy should merge nested <div> such
inner <div> are moved to the outer one. As well, nested <div> with ID
attributes are not merged. If set to "yes", the attributes of the inner
}

HTML Tidy could propagate a page wrapping div into the body element.

e.g. with a typical 2 column page layout:

should be converted into

with style declarations, presentation data of PageWrapper moved to body.

Gérard

Lisa

I use DW 8 and I'm very happy with it, but DW CS3 is out soon, so i'd
wait for that. (you'll be able to try it in about 6 weeks when Adobe
release the trial software)

Paul- Hide quoted text -

Dreamweaver used to change your written code. Does it still do that?
Thanks,
Lisa

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Talbot?=

Jukka K. Korpela wrote :

[snipped]

(...) as well as changing my perfectly good ISO-8895-1 characters
into messy "escapes".
[snipped]

That might be nice, but if the defaults for the parameters are poor

[ Bug 723951 ] Tidy should not declare us-ascii encoding

"The default input encoding is windows-1252-tolerant iso-
8859-1; Tidy should neither declare windows-1252, so it
should declare iso-8859-1 by default and windows-1252
if Tidy finds Windows-1252 characters where it is unable
to use character references."
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=723951&group_id=27659&atid=390963

Gérard