Should I upgrade Ruby from 1.8.5 to 1.8.7?

Rick DeNatale

It might not be that hard to suck every version of the Ruby source into g= it.
=A0 Then they could all be downloaded efficiently all at once. =A0 After = that a
ruby script could build several of the key stable versions, install them,
and then install another script called something like rubyswitch. =A0Runn= ing
rubyswitch <version> =A0would change the currently active version by chan= ging
the path. =A0Then the test cycle would be faster and falling back would b= e
trivial.

If the interest is in testing against various versions of Ruby then
there are already tools for that, for example the ZenTest gem includes
the executables multiruby_setup and multiruby which install multiple
versions and test using them respectively.

--=20
Rick DeNatale

Cali Wildman

Now that I've decided to install 1.8.6, the question is which release?
I'm on Windows for dev platform, FC6 for production. On Ruby's download
site, for Windows, there is one click install for ruby186-27_rc2.exe
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

But on the home page, it says the latest download is 1.8.6-p368. I'm not
familiar with the naming convention, are they the same release? If not,
what's the best way to download the latest stable version of 1.8.6?

Juan Zanos

--
Rick DeNatale

I never would have guessed by the title that it could install and
manage multiple versions of Ruby. Seems like a very useful tool.
That said I haven't finished trying it. It's still downloading
versions of Ruby.