Upgrading from 1.8.2 to 1.8.5

Clem Rock

Hello,

I need to upgrade my local version of ruby from 1.8.2 to 1.8.5.

What kind of issues could I be facing if I do this upgrade?

Are there any good tutorials or resources that describe how to do this
upgrade?

Thanks,
Clem

Jano Svitok

Hello,

I need to upgrade my local version of ruby from 1.8.2 to 1.8.5.

What kind of issues could I be facing if I do this upgrade?

Are there any good tutorials or resources that describe how to do this
upgrade?

Thanks,
Clem

It depends partially on your platform. On windows just run the new
installer (but see next paragraph). On debian/ubuntu I guess it's just
"sudo apt-get install ruby" (and all other packages).

If you're on windows I advise you to backup your c:\ruby directory --
you'll be able to go back to 1.8.2 in case of trouble. (Renaming to
something else is enough.)

You'll have to reinstall all gems (well, more exactly, only the
compiled ones) you have installed (and still need). On windows, you'll
find your gems in C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\cache. For the record, use
"gem list" to list installed gems. The same applies for all binary
extensions.

There are some language changes that might affect you, but I don't
remember them.

J.

Pete Yandell

Clem said:
I should have mentioned that I was on Mac Os 10.4

Install MacPorts, then:

sudo port -v install ruby
sudo port -v install rb-rubygems

That will install a new Ruby in /opt/local, leaving your original Ruby
intact. Then you just have to make sure /opt/local/bin is in your path
before /usr/bin, and you'll be good to go.

Pete Yandell
http://notahat.com/