    I don't want to actually display "to be entered later" to the user.
    Thanks for any help.

    ukrbend

    ukrbend, Jan 29, 2006

  2. ukrbend wrote:
    > I'm new to using forms and have tried to find an answer to the
    > following questions through various on-line tutorials but so far no
    > luck...

    You can use javasript to validate the form, but that is probalby ot the
    best idea since some people have javascript turned off.

    The best way is in the page you send the form to, the server side
    script, you check for for responses there. Ig they have entered one,
    then use that, if not,then use what ever or default is. The user never
    sees it.

    Travis Newbury, Jan 29, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > I'm new to using forms and have tried to find an answer to the
    > following questions through various on-line tutorials but so far no
    > luck.
    > Bascially, my questions is this. I want to present a form to the user
    > of my site but I don't want to make any of the fields mandatory. And
    > since they are not mandatory I want to be able to fill in default
    > values for all fields that the user doesn't enter data. But I DO NOT
    > want to present the default value to the user in any particular field,
    > only to use that default value once the user hits the submit button.
    > For example, let's say I have a "description" field. If the user
    > doesn't enter a description I want the description field to pass a
    > value of "to be entered later" once the user hits the submit button but
    > I don't want to actually display "to be entered later" to the user.
    > Thanks for any help.

    Get your server-side form handler to deal with this for you.

    --

    Hywel
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 29, 2006