    help is appreciated!

    -Dave-
    , Aug 27, 2003

  2. scribbled the following:
    > How do I compile a program?
    > I downloaded the "dmc" compiler, opened msdos editor and wrote a simple
    > program. How do I now get it compiled??? When I open the compiler program, It
    > doesn't allow me to type anything at the cursor like "compile program.c". Any
    > help is appreciated!

    This isn't a chatroom. Post the same message only once.
    Actually compiling your program depends entirely on the compiler. This
    is a newsgroup for the C language, not for C compilers. If it were for
    C compilers we would have to constantly be on the lookout for new
    compilers, to be able to provide information on each of the about one
    hundred thousand compilers available. Obviously no human is up to such
    a task.
    What you should do is consult the "dmc" compiler's documentation, try
    to get in touch with the people who published it, or ask in an MSDOS
    newsgroup.

    "The large yellow ships hung in the sky in exactly the same way that bricks
    don't."
    - Douglas Adams
    Joona I Palaste, Aug 27, 2003

  3. Malcolm Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > How do I compile a program?
    > I downloaded the "dmc" compiler, opened msdos editor and wrote a
    > simple program.

    I don't know about your specific compiler. Typically you would save your dot
    C program containing a "Hello World" program in a directory. Then you go to
    that directory and invoke the compiler

    dmc hello.c

    it should then produce an executable.

    If it is a modern compiler it will probably also come with an IDE - a set of
    windows in which you can edit the source and debug and do other useful
    things. However the compiler proper is usually a stand-alone commandline
    program.
    Malcolm, Aug 27, 2003

    Thanks for the help Greg. I've moved on to anoyher compiler called "Miracle C"
    which is more user friendly and will work for now. I will come back to dmc
    later to try and understand how it works. Your help is appreciated and thanks
    for the info about the digitalmars newsgroup.

    -Dave-

    In article <aOg3b.6567$>, "Greg P."
    <> wrote:
    >"Malcolm" <> wrote in message
    >| I don't know about your specific compiler. Typically you would save your
    >dot
    >| C program containing a "Hello World" program in a directory. Then you go
    >| that directory and invoke the compiler
    >|
    >| dmc hello.c
    >|
    >| it should then produce an executable.
    >|
    >| If it is a modern compiler it will probably also come with an IDE - a set
    >of
    >| windows in which you can edit the source and debug and do other useful
    >| things. However the compiler proper is usually a stand-alone commandline
    >| program.
    >
    >It is a *modern* compiler and it does not come with an IDE. It comes with
    >the CD version. It is command-line as you state. I think that the OP (I'm
    >talking about you ) needs to download an IDDE-featured
    >compiler suite:
    >
    >Check out Dev-C++:
    >http://bloodshed.net/dev/
    >
    >I do recommend that you stick to Digital Mars though. It is my favorite
    >compiler for the win32 platform (until they make a *nix one...since they've
    >already ported D to it, it shouldn't be long =)). If you want to ask
    >questions about dmc go to:
    >news://news.digitalmars.com/c .stlsoft
    >
    >and join our separate newsgroup. I am active there as well and you will get
    >much better feedback from Walter and us all about dmc than here (which is
    >specific to standard C).

    , Aug 28, 2003
  5. Chris Dollin Guest

    wrote:

    > In article <bii5gm$8qr$>, Joona I Palaste
    > <> wrote:
    >> scribbled the following:
    >>> How do I compile a program?
    >>> I downloaded the "dmc" compiler, opened msdos editor and wrote a simple
    >>> program. How do I now get it compiled??? When I open the compiler
    >>> program, It

    >>> doesn't allow me to type anything at the cursor like "compile
    >>> program.c". Any

    >>> help is appreciated!

    >>This isn't a chatroom. Post the same message only once.
    >>Actually compiling your program depends entirely on the compiler. This
    >>is a newsgroup for the C language, not for C compilers. If it were for
    >>C compilers we would have to constantly be on the lookout for new
    >>compilers, to be able to provide information on each of the about one
    >>hundred thousand compilers available. Obviously no human is up to such
    >>a task.
    >>What you should do is consult the "dmc" compiler's documentation, try
    >>to get in touch with the people who published it, or ask in an MSDOS
    >>newsgroup.

    > Shut your hole geek.

    Oh, wow, with an attitude like that you're not getting any help from
    *me*, chum.

    > You spent much more time bitching than just pointing me in the right
    > direction. Your last paragraph would have accomplished what you wanted,
    > which is for me to go to a more appropriate group.

    Joona did not "bitch". He gave you the answer, plus the context as to
    why that was the answer.

    > I'm sorry for posting twice, accidents happen.

    Surely. But so do people who think a newsgroup is just lik a chatroom.

    > I'm sorry for not knowing it might be improper to ask about compilers in
    > this newsgroup. Hence the title "newbie".

    Hence the polite redirection.

    > Take a pill...

    Pills are off-topic on comp.lang.c.

    --