simple newbie question

me

How do I compile a program?
I downloaded the "dmc" compiler, opened msdos editor and wrote a simple
program. How do I now get it compiled??? When I open the compiler program, It
doesn't allow me to type anything at the cursor like "compile program.c". Any
help is appreciated!

-Dave-

Joona I Palaste

(e-mail address removed) scribbled the following:
How do I compile a program?
I downloaded the "dmc" compiler, opened msdos editor and wrote a simple
program. How do I now get it compiled??? When I open the compiler program, It
doesn't allow me to type anything at the cursor like "compile program.c". Any
help is appreciated!

This isn't a chatroom. Post the same message only once.
Actually compiling your program depends entirely on the compiler. This
is a newsgroup for the C language, not for C compilers. If it were for
C compilers we would have to constantly be on the lookout for new
compilers, to be able to provide information on each of the about one
hundred thousand compilers available. Obviously no human is up to such
a task.
What you should do is consult the "dmc" compiler's documentation, try
to get in touch with the people who published it, or ask in an MSDOS
newsgroup.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"The large yellow ships hung in the sky in exactly the same way that bricks

Malcolm

How do I compile a program?
I downloaded the "dmc" compiler, opened msdos editor and wrote a
simple program.
I don't know about your specific compiler. Typically you would save your dot
C program containing a "Hello World" program in a directory. Then you go to
that directory and invoke the compiler

dmc hello.c

it should then produce an executable.

If it is a modern compiler it will probably also come with an IDE - a set of
windows in which you can edit the source and debug and do other useful
things. However the compiler proper is usually a stand-alone commandline
program.

me

Thanks for the help Greg. I've moved on to anoyher compiler called "Miracle C"
which is more user friendly and will work for now. I will come back to dmc
later to try and understand how it works. Your help is appreciated and thanks
for the info about the digitalmars newsgroup.

-Dave-

Chris Dollin

Shut your hole geek.

Oh, wow, with an attitude like that you're not getting any help from
*me*, chum.
You spent much more time bitching than just pointing me in the right
direction. Your last paragraph would have accomplished what you wanted,
which is for me to go to a more appropriate group.

Joona did not "bitch". He gave you the answer, plus the context as to
why that was the answer.
I'm sorry for posting twice, accidents happen.

Surely. But so do people who think a newsgroup is just lik a chatroom.
I'm sorry for not knowing it might be improper to ask about compilers in
this newsgroup. Hence the title "newbie".

Hence the polite redirection.
Take a pill...

Pills are off-topic on comp.lang.c.