Simple question I hope!

Adrian

Hi
I want to write a form that when a user presses submit it carries out the
submit action and then closes the browser or redirects to another page.

The form CGI I'm using, Demon's does not allow this and the default page and
message is , well, crap!

Can this be done?

Thanks

Adrian

orlando echevarria

Yes, it can be:

Part I

<!--- test.html --->
<head>
<title>Test</title>
</head>
<form name="adrianFrm" action ="/cgi-bin/myscript.cgi" method = "post">
<input type = "submit" value = "Send">
</form>

Part II

<!--- mysqcript.cgi --->
<!--- make sure your script outputs the following --->
<head>
<title>Test</title>
</head>

Adrian

Hi
Thanks, but I my isp provide a preset script that I can't modify only
call, so I'm trying to do it from JS within the page!

Adrian

The Plankmeister

I want to write a form that when a user presses submit it carries out the
submit action and then closes the browser or redirects to another page.

If I understand you correctly, then you want the form processing to be done
on the page locally, rather than on the server?

If so... well... It is possible to write a javascript function to 'validate'
the form and perform pretty much any 'local' operations of the info...
However, usually for a form to be of any use it needs to send its data to
the server.

If all you want to do is rewrite the form in a fancy way so that it looks
nice, you can do that and still submit the form data to the cgi script.
However, getting it to redirect to another page after submission is another
matter... I'm pretty sure that you cannot change that behaviour, as upon
processing the cgi script, its output is sent to the browser directly. So
unless you can modify the cgi script, you're stuck. Unless there is a
parameter you can pass to the cgi script that will redirect it somewhere.
Which is doubtful.

HTH.

P.

Adrian

Hi
Thanks, the redirect in your second scenario is what I'm trying to
achieve or if not a redirect, to submit the from and then close the window
before it receives a reply.

Thanks

Adrian

Adrian

Hi,
Thanks but I guess its not formail.pl as redirect didn't work!

The form tag is :
<form action="/cgi-bin/mailform" method="get">

And the ISP is www.demon.net

if that helps

Thanks

Adrian

Eric Klein said:
If you are using formail.pl, the hidden field is called "redirect".

Eric Klein
<a
href="http://www.mssm.edu/students/kleine04">http://www.mssm.edu/students/kl
eine04 said:
page.

[...]

[/QUOTE]

Adrian

Hi Eric,
I have tried:
<input type="hidden" name="_1_SuccessDocument"
value="http://uk.altavista.com/">
<input type="hidden" name="_1_SuccessDocument" value="index.htm">

Neither had changed the page displayed! did I enter them correctly? If so I
guess demon have tweaked their script!

Thanks

Adrian