    graphic software (PaintShop, DreamWaever, etc.) that I don't have.
    That being said, what are some simple and easy-to-learn steps I might
    take to change/rebuild the buttons on our site? Please advise. TIA

    Mike Copeland, Dec 13, 2011

  2. Mike Copeland

    idle Guest

    On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:32:36 -0700, Mike Copeland wrote in alt.html:

    > I have acquired maintenance responsibility for a Web site and have
    > been asked to make some cosmetic changes. The site
    > (www.raceplaceevents.com) is going through changes in ownership, and the
    > desired modifications are in programming areas I don't know.
    > Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
    > the navigation buttons. Currently, the buttons are .gif files (which I
    > can't alter, of course), and I want to remake them as simply as
    > possible. I have done some google exploring on this subject, but most
    > information seems to require either CSS3 code (which I don't want to
    > impose on our users, who may not have modern browsers) or expensive
    > graphic software (PaintShop, DreamWaever, etc.) that I don't have.
    > That being said, what are some simple and easy-to-learn steps I might
    > take to change/rebuild the buttons on our site? Please advise. TIA

    Use Gimp. It's free and will re-do what you need.

    --
    idle
    None of us is as good as all of us.

    idle, Dec 13, 2011

  3. Mike Copeland wrote:
    > I have acquired maintenance responsibility for a Web site and have
    > been asked to make some cosmetic changes. The site
    > (www.raceplaceevents.com) is going through changes in ownership, and the
    > desired modifications are in programming areas I don't know.
    > Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
    > the navigation buttons. Currently, the buttons are .gif files (which I
    > can't alter, of course), and I want to remake them as simply as
    > possible. I have done some google exploring on this subject, but most
    > information seems to require either CSS3 code (which I don't want to
    > impose on our users, who may not have modern browsers) or expensive
    > graphic software (PaintShop, DreamWaever, etc.) that I don't have.
    > That being said, what are some simple and easy-to-learn steps I might
    > take to change/rebuild the buttons on our site? Please advise. TIA

    1) I think you are mistaken to do that many does not require CSS3 and no
    one will be using so old as not to support CSS.

    2) CSS makes your button both
    a) more flexible: you can change colors add borders, change text...
    b) easier to maintain: no special software, just Notepad will do.

    3) If you add CSS3 effects, non-supporting browsers will just ignore.

    Add some hover effects and the shadow is CSS3, so if you are using an
    older version of IE you will just lose the shadow, no biggie.

    <head>

    <title>Use CSS</title>

    div#nav {
    width: 11em; float: left; font-family: sans-serif;
    }

    /* smaller subtext */
    div#nav a span { font-size: .7em; }

    div#nav a {
    text-decoration: none; display: block; margin: 5px;
    padding: .5em; text-align: center;
    }

    /* you can add a CSS3 rule non-supporting browsers will ignore */
    div#nav a { text-shadow: 2px 2px 2px #000; }

    div#nav a:link, div#nav a:visited {
    color: #ffffff; background: #1c508c;
    }
    div#nav a:hover, div#nav a:focus {
    color: #ffff00; background: #7c9ec4;
    }
    div#nav a:active { color: #ff0000; background: #3c4e64; }

    </head>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 13, 2011
  4. Mike Copeland

    Erwin Moller Guest

    On 12/13/2011 3:32 PM, Mike Copeland wrote:
    > I have acquired maintenance responsibility for a Web site and have
    > been asked to make some cosmetic changes. The site
    > (www.raceplaceevents.com) is going through changes in ownership, and the
    > desired modifications are in programming areas I don't know.
    > Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
    > the navigation buttons. Currently, the buttons are .gif files (which I
    > can't alter, of course), and I want to remake them as simply as
    > possible. I have done some google exploring on this subject, but most
    > information seems to require either CSS3 code (which I don't want to
    > impose on our users, who may not have modern browsers) or expensive
    > graphic software (PaintShop, DreamWaever, etc.) that I don't have.
    > That being said, what are some simple and easy-to-learn steps I might
    > take to change/rebuild the buttons on our site? Please advise. TIA

    Hi,

    Not sure if this is 100% legal, but you can still get the
    endless-evaluation version of PSP 4.12.

    http://www.oldapps.com/Paint_Shop_Pro.php

    It is the only graphics software I have ever used. ;-)
    It is extremely easy to use.

    (Disclaimer: I am a programmer, not a designer.)

    Regards,
    Erwin Moller

    --
    "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
    evidence."

    Erwin Moller, Dec 13, 2011
  5. Mike Copeland

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <4ee7790d$0$6969$4all.nl>,
    says...

    > On 12/13/2011 3:32 PM, Mike Copeland wrote:
    > > I have acquired maintenance responsibility for a Web site and have
    > > been asked to make some cosmetic changes. The site
    > > (www.raceplaceevents.com) is going through changes in ownership, and the
    > > desired modifications are in programming areas I don't know.
    > > Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
    > > the navigation buttons. Currently, the buttons are .gif files (which I
    > > can't alter, of course), and I want to remake them as simply as
    > > possible. I have done some google exploring on this subject, but most
    > > information seems to require either CSS3 code (which I don't want to
    > > impose on our users, who may not have modern browsers) or expensive
    > > graphic software (PaintShop, DreamWaever, etc.) that I don't have.
    > > That being said, what are some simple and easy-to-learn steps I might
    > > take to change/rebuild the buttons on our site? Please advise. TIA

    > Hi,
    >
    > Not sure if this is 100% legal, but you can still get the
    > endless-evaluation version of PSP 4.12.
    >
    > http://www.oldapps.com/Paint_Shop_Pro.php
    >
    > It is the only graphics software I have ever used. ;-)
    > It is extremely easy to use.

    License: Trialware
    And Windows 7 is not in the list of Supported Systems.

    Ray_Net, Dec 13, 2011
  6. 2011-12-13 17:40, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Mike Copeland wrote:

    [...]
    >> Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
    >> the navigation buttons.

    [...]
    > 2) CSS makes your button both
    > a) more flexible: you can change colors add borders, change text...
    > b) easier to maintain: no special software, just Notepad will do.

    Certainly! And the approach of using styled text on styled background is
    also good for search engines. It will avoid awkward texts like "Home
    button" and will leave just the essential text there. (Surely alt texts
    could be written properly, but this seems to be impossible to mortals.
    But they _can_ write proper button texts, as they actually see them in
    action. :))

    > 3) If you add CSS3 effects, non-supporting browsers will just ignore.

    For example, you could specify rounded borders using border-radius, and
    browsers would either obey that or use normal borders. No harm done.

    This reminds me... (although that meta tag as such is mostly practically
    useless)... if you ever need or wish to translate your page to other
    languages, styled text is surely a better basis than text in images.
    (Professional translation agencies can deliver you translations of
    images, but translating texts is surely safer and cheaper.)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 13, 2011
  7. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > This reminds me... (although that meta tag as such is mostly practically
    > useless)...

    Leftover old template...just have bothered to update it...let's see
    where the hell does Win7 now stick then...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 14, 2011
  8. On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:32:36 -0700, Mike Copeland wrote:

    > I have acquired maintenance responsibility for a Web site and have been
    > asked to make some cosmetic changes. The site (www.raceplaceevents.com)
    > is going through changes in ownership, and the desired modifications are
    > in programming areas I don't know.
    > Specifically, we want to change the colors and some of the wording in
    > the navigation buttons. Currently, the buttons are .gif files (which I
    > can't alter, of course), and I want to remake them as simply as
    > possible. I have done some google exploring on this subject, but most
    > information seems to require either CSS3 code (which I don't want to
    > impose on our users, who may not have modern browsers) or expensive
    > graphic software (PaintShop, DreamWaever, etc.) that I don't have.
    > That being said, what are some simple and easy-to-learn steps I might
    > take to change/rebuild the buttons on our site? Please advise. TIA

    Err, there are some very good free graphics manipulation programs about,
    gimp is one that I've already seen mentioned and is easily capable of
    changing colour x to colour y in a couple of gif images.

    More worrying to me is that you've acquired responsibility for
    maintaining a website, which is a visual presentation of an organization,
    and seem to have no idea of or prior access to or use of tools for
    manipulating images.

    Have you ever:

    a) edited raw html in a text editor?
    b) edited javascript in a text editor?
    c) edited css styling in a text editor?

    We already know the answer to (d) which was "edited an image".

    e) used either "tidy" or the html validator at w3.org

    I'm concerned here that you're way out of your depth and at the bottom of
    a very steep learning curve, although I may of course be wrong.

    Oh, and wrt (a), "export as html" from an application such as a
    spreadsheet or word processor, or even using a "wysiwyg" (or as I prefer
    to call them, wysiwymgiatb[1]) web-page designer really does not count as
    editing raw html in a text editor, in fact it doesn't really count as
    editing html at all.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    [1] wysiwymgiatb what you see is what you might get in a theoretical
    browser

    Denis McMahon, Dec 14, 2011
  9. > More worrying to me is that you've acquired responsibility for
    > maintaining a website, which is a visual presentation of an organization,
    > and seem to have no idea of or prior access to or use of tools for
    > manipulating images.
    > Have you ever:
    >
    > a) edited raw html in a text editor?

    Yes
    > b) edited javascript in a text editor?

    Yes
    > c) edited css styling in a text editor?

    Yes

    > We already know the answer to (d) which was "edited an image".

    No, of course not. Hence. the original query... 8<{{

    > e) used either "tidy" or the html validator at w3.org

    Yes

    > I'm concerned here that you're way out of your depth and at the bottom of
    > a very steep learning curve, although I may of course be wrong.

    My (in)experience is with graphics and GUIs. I have been a computer
    programmer for over 50 years - but I've never worked in graphics or
    animation. Does this disqualify me from asking questions and guidance
    in this forum?
    I have been "maintaining" this Web site (adding links and data files
    and other weekly updates) for years), but the original developer who
    produced the (now outdated and incorrect) navigation buttons (.gif
    files) isn't available. My current task is to "redo" the information
    embedded in these buttons, as well as change their color. Not a biggie
    for Web artists and such, but I frankly don't know where to start on
    this particular effort. <sigh...>

    Mike Copeland, Dec 15, 2011
  10. Mike Copeland wrote:

    > I have been "maintaining" this Web site (adding links and data files
    > and other weekly updates) for years), but the original developer who
    > produced the (now outdated and incorrect) navigation buttons (.gif
    > files) isn't available. My current task is to "redo" the information
    > embedded in these buttons, as well as change their color. Not a biggie
    > for Web artists and such, but I frankly don't know where to start on
    > this particular effort. <sigh...>

    Why not get rid of the graphic buttons altogether and make your
    maintenance much easier? Did you pay any attention to Jonathan's post,
    giving you near-perfect text-only CSS buttons? See his post:

    You've programmed for 50 years; text buttons should be a snap!

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 15, 2011
  11. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Mike Copeland wrote:
    >
    >> I have been "maintaining" this Web site (adding links and data files
    >> and other weekly updates) for years), but the original developer who
    >> produced the (now outdated and incorrect) navigation buttons (.gif
    >> files) isn't available. My current task is to "redo" the information
    >> embedded in these buttons, as well as change their color. Not a biggie
    >> for Web artists and such, but I frankly don't know where to start on
    >> this particular effort.<sigh...>

    > Why not get rid of the graphic buttons altogether and make your
    > maintenance much easier? Did you pay any attention to Jonathan's post,
    > giving you near-perfect text-only CSS buttons? See his post:

    > You've programmed for 50 years; text buttons should be a snap!

    Yes, just for example a 5 second edit to ad one line to the CSS and we
    now have spiffy beveled buttons. This post took longer to write than the
    page edit.

    <head>

    <title>Use CSS</title>

    div#nav {
    width: 11em; float: left; font-family: sans-serif;
    }

    /* smaller subtext */
    div#nav a span { font-size: .7em; }

    div#nav a {
    text-decoration: none; display: block; margin: 5px;
    padding: .5em; text-align: center;

    /* one liner added beveled borders! */
    border: 3px outset #1c508c;

    }

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 15, 2011
  12. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > /* one liner added beveled borders! */ border: 3px outset #1c508c;

    <g> I've been using beveled buttons for years. They look quite nice.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 15, 2011
  13. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> /* one liner added beveled borders! */ border: 3px outset #1c508c;

    > <g> I've been using beveled buttons for years. They look quite nice.

    and a little tweak to the borders and you can "animate"

    <head>

    <title>Use CSS</title>

    div#nav {
    width: 11em; float: left; font-family: sans-serif;
    }

    /* smaller subtext */
    div#nav a span { font-size: .7em; }

    div#nav a {
    text-decoration: none; display: block; margin: 5px;
    padding: .5em; text-align: center;
    /* one liner added beveled borders! */
    border: 3px outset #1c508c;

    }

    /* you can add a CSS3 rule non-supporting browsers will ignore */
    div#nav a { text-shadow: 2px 2px 2px #000; }

    div#nav a:link, div#nav a:visited {
    color: #ffffff; background: #1c508c;
    }
    div#nav a:hover, div#nav a:focus {
    border-width: 2px 4px 4px 2px ;
    color: #ffff00; background: #7c9ec4;
    }
    div#nav a:active {
    border-width: 4px 2px 2px 4px;
    border-style: inset;

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 15, 2011
  14. > Mike Copeland wrote:

    > > I have been "maintaining" this Web site (adding links and data files
    > > and other weekly updates) for years), but the original developer who
    > > produced the (now outdated and incorrect) navigation buttons (.gif
    > > files) isn't available. My current task is to "redo" the information
    > > embedded in these buttons, as well as change their color. Not a biggie
    > > for Web artists and such, but I frankly don't know where to start on
    > > this particular effort. <sigh...>

    > Why not get rid of the graphic buttons altogether and make your
    > maintenance much easier? Did you pay any attention to Jonathan's post,
    > giving you near-perfect text-only CSS buttons? See his post:

    > You've programmed for 50 years; text buttons should be a snap!

    Yes, I saw (and will be using) Jonathan's post it's just what I was
    seeking.
    In the above, I was merely responding to Dennis, who implied I had no
    business doing this work or asking for help here... 8<{{

    Mike Copeland, Dec 15, 2011
  15. Mike Copeland

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    says...

    > > Mike Copeland wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have been "maintaining" this Web site (adding links and data files
    > > > and other weekly updates) for years), but the original developer who
    > > > produced the (now outdated and incorrect) navigation buttons (.gif
    > > > files) isn't available. My current task is to "redo" the information
    > > > embedded in these buttons, as well as change their color. Not a biggie
    > > > for Web artists and such, but I frankly don't know where to start on
    > > > this particular effort. <sigh...>

    > > Why not get rid of the graphic buttons altogether and make your
    > > maintenance much easier? Did you pay any attention to Jonathan's post,
    > > giving you near-perfect text-only CSS buttons? See his post:

    > > You've programmed for 50 years; text buttons should be a snap!
    > >

    > Yes, I saw (and will be using) Jonathan's post it's just what I was
    > seeking.
    > In the above, I was merely responding to Dennis, who implied I had no
    > business doing this work or asking for help here... 8<{{

    You can see what i have done (Text Buttons) here
    http://www.randoevasion.eu/

    Ray_Net, Dec 15, 2011
  16. Jonathan N. Little, Dec 15, 2011
  17. On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:46:30 -0700, Mike Copeland wrote:

    > Yes, I saw (and will be using) Jonathan's post it's just what I was
    > seeking.
    > In the above, I was merely responding to Dennis, who implied I had no
    > business doing this work or asking for help here... 8<{{

    Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that you had no business coming here.

    In my experience, most websites include images, and most website coders
    have some experience of, at the very least, cropping and resizing images,
    ie using basic image manipulation tools.

    I inferred from your apparent lack of experience of the latter that you
    might have very little experience in web site coding, and in that case,
    having been handed a working, online and possibly high traffic website to
    maintain would be rather a baptism of fire.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, Dec 15, 2011
  18. Hot-Text wrote:

    >> Mike Copeland wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have been "maintaining" this Web site (adding links and data files
    >>> and other weekly updates) for years), but the original developer who
    >>> produced the (now outdated and incorrect) navigation buttons (.gif
    >>> files) isn't available. My current task is to "redo" the information
    >>> embedded in these buttons, as well as change their color. Not a biggie
    >>> for Web artists and such, but I frankly don't know where to start on
    >>> this particular effort. <sigh...>

    >> Why not get rid of the graphic buttons altogether and make your
    >> maintenance much easier? Did you pay any attention to Jonathan's post,
    >> giving you near-perfect text-only CSS buttons? See his post:
    >>

    > You need to look at the Bug in the HTML of Jonathan's post,
    > <TD> <TR>

    Good pickup, a little cruft from scraping from the OP's site, should be:

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 15, 2011
  19. Hot-Text wrote:

    > Mr. Ray_Net
    > it look so good you may need the © it
    > But I save this of you Cade as a Good Template,
    > But for the Colors I am more in too
    > MouseOver bgColor #c0c0c0
    > onMouseOut bgColor #FFF000
    >
    > <center>
    > border="2"cellpadding="4" cellspacing="4">
    > <tbody>
    > onMouseOver="this.bgColor='#EDF8F1'" onMouseOut="this.bgColor='#D1EEDC'"
    > bgColor="#D1EEDC">
    > onMouseOver="this.bgColor='#EDF8F1'" onMouseOut="this.bgColor='#D1EEDC'"

    Not advisable, this is not what one would currently say is "best
    practice", and more like vintage 1996.

    CENTER is deprecated

    TABLE is unnecessary and requires more markup and less flexible in
    presentation

    Relies on JavaScript which is not necessary now with CSS and the
    JavaScript in inline instead of in a separate file making management easier

    Uses with inline HTML styling attributes which more steam-lined CSS is
    preferred.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 16, 2011
  20. Mike Copeland

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <jcfpv3$bvp$>, says...

    > Hot-Text wrote:
    >
    > > Mr. Ray_Net
    > > it look so good you may need the © it
    > > But I save this of you Cade as a Good Template,
    > > But for the Colors I am more in too
    > > MouseOver bgColor #c0c0c0
    > > onMouseOut bgColor #FFF000
    > >
    > > <center>
    > > border="2"cellpadding="4" cellspacing="4">
    > > <tbody>
    > > onMouseOver="this.bgColor='#EDF8F1'" onMouseOut="this.bgColor='#D1EEDC'"
    > > bgColor="#D1EEDC">
    > > onMouseOver="this.bgColor='#EDF8F1'" onMouseOut="this.bgColor='#D1EEDC'"

    > Not advisable, this is not what one would currently say is "best
    > practice", and more like vintage 1996.
    >
    > CENTER is deprecated
    >
    > TABLE is unnecessary and requires more markup and less flexible in
    > presentation
    >
    > Relies on JavaScript which is not necessary now with CSS and the
    > JavaScript in inline instead of in a separate file making management easier
    >
    > Uses with inline HTML styling attributes which more steam-lined CSS is
    > preferred.

    You are certainly true ...but:
    1. It works.
    2. It pass the W3C validator.