simplest webservice client ever

ali

i have created a simple web service using tomcat and axis 1.4

it just has one method that returns the string hello world

i want create a client that would use this webservice

i tried some tutorials on the web but couldnt do it

can you please help

Richard Reynolds

ali said:
i have created a simple web service using tomcat and axis 1.4

it just has one method that returns the string hello world

i want create a client that would use this webservice

i tried some tutorials on the web but couldnt do it

can you please help
My kitchen appliance is broke, can you help?
Are you willing to start quizzing me on the appliance make and model? what I
use it for? what it's doing? what it's supposed to be doing? what I've tried
so far? I think not.

caccamo.antonio

simply..use axis to create the client..

have u created the server.config file ??? have u inserted it under WEB-
INF directory ??

antanysavage

caccamo.antonio

simply..use axis to create the client..

have u created the server.config file ??? have u inserted it under WEB-
INF directory ??

antanysavage

ali

My kitchen appliance is broke, can you help?
Are you willing to start quizzing me on the appliance make and model? what I
use it for? what it's doing? what it's supposed to be doing? what I've tried
so far? I think not.

you was so helpful

ali

simply..use axis to create the client..

have u created the server.config file ??? have u inserted it under WEB-
INF directory ??

antanysavage

no non of webservice tutorials that i read told me to create
server.config what is it about and how it is used ?!!!

Richard Reynolds

ali said:
you was so helpful
Your question was so unhelpful, both for yourself and anyone wanting to
answer it. Try and think from other people's perspective when asking.

ali

Thanks for trying to help

i have got the answer i was looking for and created a tutorial of how
to create basic hello world like webservice and its java application
client

here it is if any one else is looking for semiller problems

all what you have to do is to

1- install java j2se 6

2- install tomcat 6

3- download Axis 1.4

4- unzip Axis 1.4

5- take the folder axis inside "axis-bin-1_4\axis-1_4\webapps\"
folder
and copy pest it in "\Tomcat 6.0\webapps\" folder

6- then search your computer for tools.jar file
it must be there somewhere depend on where is your java installed then
copy pest it in
"Tomcat 6.0\webapps\axis\WEB-INF\lib"

7-then run tomcat
and go to the browser and enter the link http://localhost:8080/axis/happyaxis.jsp
it should tell you all the needed componants are available

if so you are done and you can create a web service

8- just write a simple java programe and no need to compile it

just take the something.java file rename it to something.jws

put it in the folder Tomcat 6.0\webapps\axis\

and then run in the browser

and then http://localhost:8080/axis/something.jws?wsdl

you will see WSDL of your java web service

your web service has bean created and it is working

9- create a client

9.1- you will need to find the following files (they must be in your
computer)
axis.jar
commons-discovery-0.2.jar
commons-logging-1.0.4.jar
jaxrpc-api.jar
9.2- add those file in the enviromental variable CLASSPATH
9.3- write your client program through this example client program

""
*
* Main.java
*
* Created on May 5, 2007, 11:28 AM
*
* To change this template, choose Tools | Template Manager
* and open the template in the editor.
*/

package serviceclient;

import org.apache.axis.client.Call;
import org.apache.axis.client.Service;
import javax.xml.namespace.QName;
/**
*
* @author Administrator
*/
public class Main {

/** Creates a new instance of Main */
public Main() {
}

/**
*/
try{

String endpoint = "http://localhost:8080/axis/something.jws";
String method = "sayit"; /// put your method name here

Service service = new Service();
call.setTargetEndpointAddress( new java.net.URL(endpoint) );
call.setOperationName(new QName(" http://localhost:8080/axis/something.jws",method)
);
String ret = (String) call.invoke(method,null); // instead of null
you can put array of the parameters you want to pass to the invoded
method
System.out.println("Got result : " + ret);

}
catch(Exception err){}

""

hope you good luck

Richard Reynolds

ali said:
[...]

Excellent post Ali, one of the things people often don't bother to do is to
post the solution once they've found it. I'm sure it will be very helpful to
many others.