Simulating a TTY?

Quintus

Roger Pack

I'm trying to write something like a terminal emulator for use inside a
wxRuby GUI as a debugging console in the current context or just as a
possibility to issue some fast commands rather than clicking around. I
have to problems with this:

1. I wanted to use IRB to just allow the user to enter Ruby code in the
current project context, but IRB seems to only read from STDIN. I didn't
find a possibility to direct IRB somewhere else. So, is there one or can
I give up on this?

A few related projects that might help:

live console [1] monkey patches irb to allow it to receive from a socket
(probably not quite what you wanted...)
as does fxri
[1] http://github.com/pete/live-console/blob/master/lib/live_console.rb

redcar also has a "REPL" which "is like" IRB (without ever using irb
though).

GL.
-r

Quintus

Ed Howland

I'd look at guirb [1] as well. Even though it is written in Tk (and
Fx?) they had to solve the same problem. Haven't tried it on Windows
myself.

BTW, is your code public or open source?

Cheers,
Ed

Ed Howland
http://greenprogrammer.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/ed_howland

Quintus

James Edward Gray II

1. I wanted to use IRB to just allow the user to enter Ruby code in = the
current project context, but IRB seems to only read from STDIN. I = didn't
find a possibility to direct IRB somewhere else. So, is there one or = can
I give up on this?

On Unix, you can use a Psuedo-Terminal (PTY) to manage an IRb process:

$ ruby pty_irb.rb=20Cakey-Please:~/Desktop $ cat pty_irb.rb=20
require "pty"
require "expect"

PTY.spawn("irb -f --simple-prompt") do |reader, writer, pid|
input =3D ""
while output =3D reader.expect(/^>>\s+/)
if output and output.first
output.first.sub!(/\A#{Regexp.escape(input.to_s.rstrip)}\r?\n/, "")
end
print output
$stdout.flush
input =3D gets
writer << input
end
end
A major part of this problems is that the code has to be
platform-independent, because the GUI is going to be run on Windows = and
Linux systems (and maybe Macs as well)...

I don't think the PTY library works on Windows, unfortunately. Perhaps =
there's a different but similar strategy you can use there.

James Edward Gray II=