Since which version is STL shipped with Gnu-C++ ?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Rolf Hemmerling, Oct 10, 2003.

  1. Hello !

    Since which Gnu-C++ version ( 3.x.x, 2.x.x ) is there support für C++
    Standard Library ( STL ), i.e. since which version is STL shipped with
    Gnu-C++, "usually" ? Is there any history available in the WWW ?

    Although there is no need to use anything than current versions of
    Gnu-C++ with Linux,

    there are some ports of Gnu-C++ for exotic/oder environments ( ATARI-ST,
    MSDOS with DOS Extender,.. ?), where the development had stopped since
    longtime, it is useful to know by one look if there is support or not.

    The breakthrough for shipping of payware-compilers with STL was in 1998
    or so ( Borland C++ 5.0 was shipped with a very early version of STL ).

    Sincerely
    Rolf
    --
    / / / Alone on the data highway...
    / / like on an allee in Hannover-Herrenhausen
    Rolf Hemmerling, Oct 10, 2003

  2. Rolf Hemmerling

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Rolf Hemmerling" <> wrote in message
    > Hello !
    >
    > Since which Gnu-C++ version ( 3.x.x, 2.x.x ) is there support für C++
    > Standard Library ( STL ), i.e. since which version is STL shipped with
    > Gnu-C++, "usually" ? Is there any history available in the WWW ?

    www.gnu.org

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Oct 10, 2003

  3. Re: Since which version is STL shipped with Gnu-C++ ? (2)

    Addition:

    According to
    http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/releases.html
    , it might be that STL was shipped first since GCC 2.95

    ( I don´t count the "EGCS 1.0" project, as this was probably no source
    for major ports and not widely used ).

    Am I right ?

    Sincerely
    Rolf

    Rolf Hemmerling, Oct 10, 2003
  4. Rolf Hemmerling

    tom_usenet Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:42:09 +0200, Rolf Hemmerling
    <> wrote:

    >Hello !
    >
    >Since which Gnu-C++ version ( 3.x.x, 2.x.x ) is there support für C++
    >Standard Library ( STL ), i.e. since which version is STL shipped with
    >Gnu-C++, "usually" ? Is there any history available in the WWW ?
    >
    >Although there is no need to use anything than current versions of
    >Gnu-C++ with Linux,
    >
    >there are some ports of Gnu-C++ for exotic/oder environments ( ATARI-ST,
    > MSDOS with DOS Extender,.. ?), where the development had stopped since
    >longtime, it is useful to know by one look if there is support or not.
    >
    >The breakthrough for shipping of payware-compilers with STL was in 1998
    >or so ( Borland C++ 5.0 was shipped with a very early version of STL ).

    I imagine HP and SGI shipped the STL with their compilers a while
    before that (they are the companies at which the STL was developed).

    All the above questions about gcc are answered, surprise surprise, at
    http://gcc.gnu.org. Check out the platforms and news pages.

    For a C++ compiler that can be ported to any platform according to
    need, for a price, see www.comeaucomputing.com. Apparently they have
    ported older versions of their compiler to the ST and Amiga. See:
    http://www.comeaucomputing.com/faqs/genfaq.html#alleviate

    Tom
    tom_usenet, Oct 10, 2003