single entry window with input being sent to 2..n xterms simultaneously

Rob Petty

I am using a Linux box as a fill-in for a Sun Cluster "cluster console" machine. The only thing I am missing is the ability to
open three windows:
1 is a small window like a Perl/Tk with a simple text input box.
2 are normal xterm windows

Each xterm window can have direct text input individually, but the kicker is that typing in the smaller window with just the text
box sends the text to both xterm windows at the same time. (One entry for configuration info and any other valid CLI command, two
outputs)

Anyone know of a simple way to do this? I have searched google, but the terms I am using bring up 14billion hits and none in the
top 20 pages are related in any way. I seem to remember a perl/tk hack to do this but don't know where.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Jonathan Stowe

Rob Petty said:
I am using a Linux box as a fill-in for a Sun Cluster "cluster console" machine. The only thing I am missing is the ability to
open three windows:
1 is a small window like a Perl/Tk with a simple text input box.
2 are normal xterm windows

Each xterm window can have direct text input individually, but the
kicker is that typing in the smaller window with just the text box
sends the text to both xterm windows at the same time. (One entry
for configuration info and any other valid CLI command, two outputs)

At a guess (and I really can't be arsed to experiment right now ) you might
be able to use X11::protocol to send the appropriate X events to the xterm
windows however you may need information about those windows that might not
be available easily to the Perl program. I'd start by looking in the X
documentation.

/J\

Rob Petty

Jonathan Stowe said:
At a guess (and I really can't be arsed to experiment right now ) you might
be able to use X11::protocol to send the appropriate X events to the xterm
windows however you may need information about those windows that might not
be available easily to the Perl program. I'd start by looking in the X
documentation.

Thanks for the reply. I'll start looking into it.