sintax explaination

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by josh, Aug 28, 2008.

  1. josh

    josh Guest

    Hi, I post this newbie question: I don't understand when I can use
    <asp:something> and when I must use
    only tag like <Columns>

    Ex. in the following snippets I use <Colums> and then <asp:BoundFiled>
    but which is the difference?
    but the pager settings I can use as properties or like tag.

    <asp:GridView ID="grid_view_1" runat="server"
    DataSourceID="data_source_1" AutoGenerateColumns="false"
    AllowPaging="true" PagerSettings-Mode="NextPreviousFirstLast"
    PagerSettings-Position="Bottom">

    <PagerStyle BackColor="Aqua" ForeColor="White" />

    <Columns>
    <asp:BoundField HeaderText="ID" DataField="au_id"
    ReadOnly="true"
    SortExpression="au_id" />
    <asp:BoundField HeaderText="Last Name" DataField="au_lname"
    SortExpression="au_lname" />
    <asp:BoundField HeaderText="First Name" DataField="au_fname"
    SortExpression="au_fname" />
    <asp:BoundField HeaderText="Phone" DataField="phone"
    SortExpression="phone" />
    <asp:BoundField HeaderText="Address" DataField="address"
    SortExpression="address" />
    <asp:BoundField HeaderText="City" DataField="city"
    SortExpression="city" />
    <asp:BoundField HeaderText="State" DataField="state"
    SortExpression="state" />
    <asp:BoundField HeaderText="ZIP" DataField="zip"
    SortExpression="zip" />
    <asp:CheckBoxField HeaderText="contract" DataField="contract"
    SortExpression="contract" />

    </Columns>
    </asp:GridView>

    I'm confused!