site security: how can I audit what user or machine process has altered a file?

Ken Fine

I'm having a periodic issue on one of my sites with defacement: people are
using some process or exploit to replace/deface pages. I want to know how
exactly they are doing this, and what process or user is doing this. How can
I best audit what user or machine process has altered a particular file, or
set up a log on that file for the future? Beyond basic server security, any
pointers for common strategies to hinder this sort of defacement?

I'm using Windows Server 2003, ASP.NET, PHP, and classic ASP. I control the
server entirely.

Thanks,
-KF

Steven Cheng

Hi KF,

Do you mean your webserver machine is suffering some attacks recently? For
file altering, it could be done from both internal network or external. For
internal, you may need to restrict more on the file access of that machine.
For external, it is more likely that some external users has gain some
level of access permissions on your machine. Normally, you may first check
the IIS webserver security(such as install all the lastest patch and apply
some good practices):

#Installing and Securing IIS Servers (Part 1)
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Installing_Securing_IIS_Servers_Part1
.html

#Tech Tip: Take these steps to secure your IIS Web server
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-6350_11-5287646.html

#IIS Security Checklist
http://www.washington.edu/computing/support/windows/UWdomains/IISsecchecklis
t.html

Sure, there are also some information about building secured ASP.NET
application:

#Building Secure ASP .NET Applications .pdf Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=055FF772-97FE-41B8-
A58C-BF9C6593F25E&displaylang=en

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------

Ken Fine

Thanks. I'm still curious if there is a way to log what process or user
altered a particular file, so I can figure out exactly where the attack is
coming from. Do you know a way to do that?

Thanks,
-KF

Steven Cheng

Hi KF,

For file system access monitor, so far I what I can get is the windows's
own system audit feature:

#Threats and Countermeasures
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/guidance/serversecurity/tcg/tcgch0
3n.mspx

However, it is not recording both the account and process, only account
info may get recorded.

You may also look for some other file system monitor tools, one is the
sysinternals filemon:

#FileMon for Windows v7.04
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896642.aspx

and some other 3rd party ones:

#Auditing File System Events
http://dl.scriptlogic.com/landing/file-system-auditor/auditing-file-system-e
vents.aspx?engine=adwords!9443&keyword=(windows%20audit)&match_type=&gclid=C
L-U7Ybu4JECFQoXewodZiq3Sw

http://www.filedudes.com/files/File_System_Monitor.html

From: "Ken Fine" <[email protected]>