    designer?

    thanks
    David
    David Graham, Feb 2, 2006

  2. David Graham

    Spartanicus Guest

    "David Graham" <> wrote:

    >When I right click on a .png file in windows explorer and go to properties I
    >get:
    >
    >Size 1.98 KB
    >Size on disk 4.00KB
    >
    >Well, why the difference

    Disk cluster sizes.

    >and which is the important figure for a budding web
    >designer?

    None, "Size on disk" is determined by the filesystem and size of the
    disk used by the user's system, none of your business.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Feb 2, 2006

  3. David Graham

    Spartanicus Guest

    Spartanicus <> wrote:

    >>When I right click on a .png file in windows explorer and go to properties I
    >>get:
    >>
    >>Size 1.98 KB
    >>Size on disk 4.00KB
    >>
    >>Well, why the difference

    >Disk cluster sizes.
    >
    >>and which is the important figure for a budding web
    >>designer?

    >None, "Size on disk" is determined by the filesystem and size of the
    >disk used by the user's system, none of your business.

    I should have added that another figure not mentioned *is* an important
    consideration: the "uncompressed size". Afaik this figure is not listed
    by Windows Explorer, most graphic viewer applications will list it. The
    "uncompressed size" is the amount of video RAM occupied if the image is
    loaded.

    A jpeg, gif or a png may take up only a small amount of bandwidth when
    transferred, but it may expand to a huge size when uncompressed. This is
    something to consider, especially with regard to portable devices.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Feb 2, 2006
  4. David Graham

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "David Graham" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > When I right click on a .png file in windows explorer and go to properties
    > get:
    >
    > Size 1.98 KB
    > Size on disk 4.00KB
    >
    > Well, why the difference and which is the important figure for a budding
    > web
    > designer?
    >
    > thanks
    > David

    Read both of the posts by Spartanicus, they cover almost everything.

    In answer to your point "which is the important figure", if you are
    considering download times then its the 1.98KB figure because that's the
    amount of data that will need to be transferred from the webserver to the
    client for the image.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Feb 2, 2006
  5. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    "Brian Cryer" <brianc@127.0.0.1.activesol.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "David Graham" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > When I right click on a .png file in windows explorer and go to

    properties
    > > get:
    > >
    > > Size 1.98 KB
    > > Size on disk 4.00KB
    > >
    > > Well, why the difference and which is the important figure for a budding
    > > web
    > > designer?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > David

    > Read both of the posts by Spartanicus, they cover almost everything.
    >
    > In answer to your point "which is the important figure", if you are
    > considering download times then its the 1.98KB figure because that's the
    > amount of data that will need to be transferred from the webserver to the
    > client for the image.
    > --
    > Brian Cryer
    > www.cryer.co.uk/brian