size of graphics

David Graham

Hi
When I right click on a .png file in windows explorer and go to properties I
get:

Size 1.98 KB
Size on disk 4.00KB

Well, why the difference and which is the important figure for a budding web
designer?

thanks
David

Spartanicus

David Graham said:
When I right click on a .png file in windows explorer and go to properties I
get:

Size 1.98 KB
Size on disk 4.00KB

Well, why the difference

Disk cluster sizes.
and which is the important figure for a budding web
designer?

None, "Size on disk" is determined by the filesystem and size of the
disk used by the user's system, none of your business.

Spartanicus

Spartanicus said:
Disk cluster sizes.

None, "Size on disk" is determined by the filesystem and size of the
disk used by the user's system, none of your business.

I should have added that another figure not mentioned *is* an important
consideration: the "uncompressed size". Afaik this figure is not listed
by Windows Explorer, most graphic viewer applications will list it. The
"uncompressed size" is the amount of video RAM occupied if the image is
loaded.

A jpeg, gif or a png may take up only a small amount of bandwidth when
transferred, but it may expand to a huge size when uncompressed. This is
something to consider, especially with regard to portable devices.

Brian Cryer

David Graham said:
Hi
When I right click on a .png file in windows explorer and go to properties
get:

Size 1.98 KB
Size on disk 4.00KB

Well, why the difference and which is the important figure for a budding
web
designer?

thanks
David

Read both of the posts by Spartanicus, they cover almost everything.

In answer to your point "which is the important figure", if you are
considering download times then its the 1.98KB figure because that's the
amount of data that will need to be transferred from the webserver to the
client for the image.

David Graham

Brian Cryer said:
Read both of the posts by Spartanicus, they cover almost everything.

In answer to your point "which is the important figure", if you are
considering download times then its the 1.98KB figure because that's the
amount of data that will need to be transferred from the webserver to the
client for the image.
Thanks to you both, got it now
David