Sleep

Adam Steinfurth

This program is very simple. It is suppose to load in the text file, load
each character into an array, then print out the array one letter at a
time. It is supposed to wait 1 second each time it prints. This freezes
every time I run it. Any ideas?

Adam

class Slow_Array

def array_split
@f = File.open('Text_for_TextReader.txt','r') do |f|
f.gets.scan(/\w/)
end
end

def print_and_wait
@f.each {
|i|
print i
sleep 1
}
end

end

#-------------------------------------------------
# Main logic
TextReader = Slow_Array.new

# Bring file into program
TextReader.array_split

# Print each character, waiting one second in between each printing
TextReader.print_and_wait

Einar Magnús Boson

[...]

It doesn't freeze, but the output is buffered so it appears that way.
try adding a flush:

print i
STDOUT.flush
sleep 1

einarmagnus

Michael Fellinger

[...]

You can either:

$stdout.sync = true

or:

class SlowArray
def slow_each
File.open('Text_for_TextReader.txt') do |file|
while line = file.gets
puts line
sleep 1
end
end
end

SlowArray.new.slow_each

^ manveru

Adam Steinfurth

STDOUT.flush
Did exactly what I wanted and it was an easy fix. I would have never
figured that out. Thank you.

Adam