Sleepy web app

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jerry Boone, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Jerry Boone

    Jerry Boone Guest

    I have several web apps, some small, some large. To a user, they seem to go
    to sleep after some amount of time. To me, they are reloading the
    assemblies into the Gac or something and causing a lot of noise on the
    server while doing so.

    To clarify... if nobody hits the web app for an extended period of time (I
    presume this is either a cache time or maybe just so many hours) that the
    web app can take as long as 20 seconds or so before it delivers the first
    page, then after that it is as fast as html files.

    This is quite unacceptable so I am looking for your remedy in this matter.

    Thanks

    VS03 Projects
    IIS5, P4, 1.8 Poweredge, 1g Mem, 15krpm scsi

    --
    Jerry Boone

    Jerry Boone, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Jerry Boone

    bruce barker Guest

    asp.net web sites are recycled for lots of reasons, including timeout. you
    might want to create a job that polls your web site, so that when a reload
    is required, it takes the hit. you could also have you application unload
    event trigger this job.

    more options will exist in a future release.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jan 29, 2004

  3. Jerry Boone

    Marina Guest

    You can actually change this setting in machine.config. There is an
    idleTimeout property in the processmodel section you can set.

    Marina, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Jerry Boone

    Jerry Boone Guest

    Hmm... very good -- app unload would be suitable.

    Thanks Bruce!

    Jerry Boone, Jan 29, 2004
  5. Jerry Boone

    Jerry Boone Guest