Slideshow from local PC

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Sudarshan, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Sudarshan

    Sudarshan Guest

    My intention is to burn images into a CD along with a HTML file and
    AutoRun instruction to start the HTML file. The HTML file would
    contain a JavaScript that would read the directory contents
    (recursively, if required) and show the images on the browser in a
    slideshow manner.

    I spent a couple of hours searching for sample script to do something
    similar, found several, but they all are designed to show the images
    saved on the Web server.

    Does JavaScript support local disk reading? Remember, the HTML came
    from local disk. I spent some time on Netscape's JavaScript manual
    site looking for some statement/function for directory services, and
    found nothing.

    Does the slideshow program I am looking for already exist? If not, I
    can attempt to write one myself if I can figure out how to search the
    local directory.

    Thank you.
    Sudarshan, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Hi,

    Sudarshan wrote:
    > My intention is to burn images into a CD along with a HTML file and
    > AutoRun instruction to start the HTML file. The HTML file would
    > contain a JavaScript that would read the directory contents
    > (recursively, if required) and show the images on the browser in a
    > slideshow manner.
    >
    > I spent a couple of hours searching for sample script to do something
    > similar, found several, but they all are designed to show the images
    > saved on the Web server.
    >
    > Does JavaScript support local disk reading? Remember, the HTML came
    > from local disk. I spent some time on Netscape's JavaScript manual
    > site looking for some statement/function for directory services, and
    > found nothing.
    >
    > Does the slideshow program I am looking for already exist? If not, I
    > can attempt to write one myself if I can figure out how to search the
    > local directory.
    >
    > Thank you.

    No, client-side JavaScript alone cannot do this. However, a Java applet
    can, and this is exactly the main use I have for my applet WebLoadFile.
    This applet can browse directories and deliver the content to JavaScript.

    See

    I am trying to finalize my own solution for a PhotoAlbum and might be
    able to post this solution on my website soon.

    HTH,

    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft