sliding menus

PoetStorm

Hello again, I know I can find a lot of resources on the web as to how to do
this but I wanted some opinions about compatibility and you all seem to be
very well versed in different browsers. I would like a menu where
subcategories for each menu entry would slide out upon mouseover. I am
thinking I have to either go for DHTML or Flash, which one is more widely
acceptable? Is there a better way or are there any real definite "no nos"
Again thanks!

--

Laura
ICQ 174756639

Karl Groves

PoetStorm said:
Hello again, I know I can find a lot of resources on the web as to how to do
this but I wanted some opinions about compatibility and you all seem to be
very well versed in different browsers. I would like a menu where
subcategories for each menu entry would slide out upon mouseover. I am
thinking I have to either go for DHTML or Flash, which one is more widely
acceptable? Is there a better way or are there any real definite "no nos"
Again thanks!

The complaints are many:
Technical
1) They often do not work *at all* if javascript is disabled
2) They often render differently across platforms

Usability
1) They are often inaccessible to those with multiple types of disabilities
2) They are often described as "slippery" even by experienced and
able-bodied users.

The impact of the above problems depends on the implementation.
At the very least, you'll want to make sure that the top/ first link of the
menu still works, even if javascript is disabled. Then, make sure that the
link itself is large enough to click on without needing to be a friggin
marksman with the mouse. (Google for Fitt's Law)

-Karl

Sid Ismail

: Hello again, I know I can find a lot of resources on the web as to how to do
: this but I wanted some opinions about compatibility and you all seem to be
: very well versed in different browsers. I would like a menu where
: subcategories for each menu entry would slide out upon mouseover. I am
: thinking I have to either go for DHTML or Flash, which one is more widely
: acceptable? Is there a better way or are there any real definite "no nos"
: Again thanks!

Please avoid Flash.

Best Site DHTML: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/

Sid

Jeff Thies

Toby said:
PoetStorm wrote:

This uses clicks rather than mouseovers, but it could be converted pretty
easily: http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/menu/menu2.html

That said, I think you'll find that clicks are *much* easier for the end
user to use -- mouseovers will make your site a lot more fiddly.

That will be true for your linear example.

For the common flyout example, the mouseovers are expected (I've done it
both ways). A suitable setTimeout delay to give wobbly mice a chance to
recover is key.

Jeff

Karl Groves

Nico Schuyt said:
I wonder why you use js. With a few snippets of php you can achieve the same
effect

Depending on the amount of traffic to a site, you might not want all those
back & forth trips to the server.
10,000 sessions a MONTH? Not a big deal. Use PHP
10,000 sessions an HOUR? Might want to consider not going with PHP

-Karl

Toby Inkster

Nico said:
I wonder why you use js. With a few snippets of php you can achieve the same
effect

A similar effect, but not the same effect. (The difference being speed.)

Toby Inkster

Nico said:
The difference in speed however is hardly noticeable. Compare:
http://www.aqua-tech.nl/test/menu2.html (js) and
http://www.aqua-tech.nl/test/menu2.php (php)

Was highly noticeable here as I'm currently downloading some big RPM
files. 16 seconds to expand a menu on the PHP version versus about 1/16
seconds to expand a menu on the Javascript version. :)

Remember also that the menu is unlikely to be in a file on its own, but
it's likely to be part of a much bigger document with lots of body text.
In the PHP version, all this will be downloaded with every menu expand too!
Note: The js solution pops up expanded during a split second in IE6.

Well, it is possible to work around the FOUC[1] by using CSS to collapse
the menu instead of Javascript, but that breaks the menu in browsers with
CSS support but no Javascript (they can't access the submenus).

Besides which, the FOUC could be turned into a "feature": a handy preview
of the full menu while the page is loading. Just add a little delay to
menuinit().

____
[1] Flash Of *Uncollapsed* Content. :)

Nico Schuyt

Toby said:
Nico Schuyt wrote:
Was highly noticeable here as I'm currently downloading some big RPM
files. 16 seconds to expand a menu on the PHP version versus about
1/16 seconds to expand a menu on the Javascript version. :)
Remember also that the menu is unlikely to be in a file on its own,
but it's likely to be part of a much bigger document with lots of
body text. In the PHP version, all this will be downloaded with every
menu expand too!

You convinced me :)
Well, it is possible to work around the FOUC[1] by using CSS to
collapse the menu instead of Javascript, but that breaks the menu in
browsers with CSS support but no Javascript (they can't access the
submenus).
Besides which, the FOUC could be turned into a "feature": a handy
preview of the full menu while the page is loading. Just add a little
delay to menuinit().
[1] Flash Of *Uncollapsed* Content. :)

LOL

Webcastmaker

I must admit I didn't consider the effects on speed and network traffic.
Perhaps I should.
The difference in speed however is hardly noticeable. Compare:
http://www.aqua-tech.nl/test/menu2.html (js) and
http://www.aqua-tech.nl/test/menu2.php (php)

Click click click.... that is the issue with IE and the php solution,
because IE (retardedly) put that click sound on a page change. Click
click click it is enough to drive one insane... (and most people
haven't a clue how to turn it off)

Nico Schuyt

Webcastmaker said:
(e-mail address removed) says...
Click click click.... that is the issue with IE and the php solution,
because IE (retardedly) put that click sound on a page change. Click
click click it is enough to drive one insane... (and most people
haven't a clue how to turn it off)

Uhhh, I even have no clue how to put it *on* :) I hear nothing, neither
with the js nor with the php one.