Small, simple Ruby applications and sample code?

Double Minus

Hi all,

Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby apps
along with sample code? I'm trying to learn the language and feel like
seeing a lot of really basic programs and how they were created would be
enormously helpful. Thanks!

double

Gregory Brown

Hi all,

Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby apps
along with sample code? I'm trying to learn the language and feel like
seeing a lot of really basic programs and how they were created would be
enormously helpful. Thanks!

Many are not exactly simple, but all the RubyQuiz solutions offer
something interesting, and it may be the largest collection of focused
Ruby tasks out there:

rubyquiz.com

ara.t.howard

Hi all,

Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby
apps
along with sample code? I'm trying to learn the language and feel
like
seeing a lot of really basic programs and how they were created
would be
enormously helpful. Thanks!

double

here are a few small one's i've written

http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/punch/punch-0.0.2/bin/punch

http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/mp3scrape/mp3scrape-0.0.1/bin/mp3scrape

http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/tumblr/tumblr-0.0.1/bin/tumblr
http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/tumblr/tumblr-0.0.1/lib/tumblr.rb

http://codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/rubyforge/rubyforge-0.1.1/bin/rubyforge

cheers

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

Double Minus

Gregory said:
Many are not exactly simple, but all the RubyQuiz solutions offer
something interesting, and it may be the largest collection of focused
Ruby tasks out there:

rubyquiz.com

Nice. These are far more advanced tasks than I am able to cope with -
but this is a great site - very interesting.

Huw Collingbourne

Double said:
Hi all,

Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby apps
along with sample code?

Sounds like one of my eBooks might be right for you. They are both free
and both come with huge numbers of small demo programs. There's The
Little Book Of Ruby - this covers all the fundamentals in 10 chapters,
with every example provided as ready-to-run code:

http://www.sapphiresteel.com/The-Little-Book-Of-Ruby

And there's The Book Of Ruby which is very much more 'in depth'.
Eventually The Book Of Ruby will have over 400 pages and 20 chapters.
I'm building towards this with regular updates as each chapter is
revised and added. Currently it has 9 chapters, 179 pages and 150
ready-to-run little demo programs in its source code archive (chapter 10
will be added in a few days):

http://www.sapphiresteel.com/The-Book-Of-Ruby

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne

SapphireSteel Software
Ruby and Rails In Visual Studio
http://www.sapphiresteel.com

Double Minus

Huw said:
[...]

All of these are great suggestions. Huw - the books look awesome.
Thanks for replying everyone. If you know of more, keep them coming.

double

Thomas Peklak

Learning Ruby by programming can be fun, too. Just try out ruby-
warrior from Ryan Bates (railscasts.com).
http://github.com/ryanb/ruby-warrior/tree/master

It starts rather easy but gets tricky on higher levels.

Of course you can cheat. But trying to write clean code, refactoring
when code is getting messy was fun to me

Thomas

Double Minus

Thomas said:
Learning Ruby by programming can be fun, too. Just try out ruby-
warrior from Ryan Bates (railscasts.com).
http://github.com/ryanb/ruby-warrior/tree/master

It starts rather easy but gets tricky on higher levels.

Of course you can cheat. But trying to write clean code, refactoring
when code is getting messy was fun to me

Thomas

Okay, so my lack of skills are definitely showing...

I have no idea how to use/install/play the game. I downloaded the zip,
read the readme...now what? Thanks everyone! The 99 bottles tutorial
was extremely helpful.

double

Richard Conroy

Hi all,

Is there a collection (the bigger the better) of small, simply ruby apps
along with sample code? I'm trying to learn the language and feel like
seeing a lot of really basic programs and how they were created would be
enormously helpful. Thanks!

Its not conventional Ruby, but if the challenge <-> feedback loop isn't working
for you, you might want to give Shoes a try
http://hackety.org
http://shoooes.net

Its a Ruby GUI toolkit, built to help kids get into programming, but
there is really
no restriction placed on it - you can happily dress regular ruby problems with
a shoes gui for rapid feedback on the problems you wish to solve.

Double Minus

Chad said:
Somehow, I managed to miss this when it first appeard on the list about
thre weeks ago. Sorry about that.

I'm glad the 99 bottles thing helped. How are things progressing now?

I never really did figure out how to use the game. (I completed the
first level then didn't know what to do from there).

Things have progressed well. The Shoes GUI has been amazing to use and
learn from. I am grateful for it. However I'm seeking a position at my
company where Ruby is not useful, so I've been focusing my studies on
other topics (CSS, Javascript). Thanks for checking in. Great
community.