Smart Navigation property causing infinite Page Reload (v 1.1)!?!

Guest

Okay - this is stumping me. I've used .Net since 1.0 release and never had
this trouble before...

In one of my new projects, if I enable the SmartNavigation="True" in the
Page declaration/directive tag - when I go to test the page it goes into an
infinite loop (in debugger I've tried to break at the Page_Load method but
the loop occurs before the method can even be reached)!

I've rebooted the server...

I've recreated the application space in IIS 5.x...

I've tested with and without the SmartNavigation property. With it set to
false (or non existant) everything loads normally and the app works great.
Turn it on and away we go to Loop-ville!

Can someone help me figure this problem out? It's making me crazy.
~A~

Trevor Benedict R

Smart Navigation works client side. When you say Page_Load, I assume you are
talking about Server side. Have you tried to debug the client side code. Do
you have any script that runs on the Window_OnLoad event, if so what is it.

Have you tried to update the client side scripts by re-registering the code
using aspnet_regiis.exe

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
MCSD

Guest

I don't have any specific client side code in this project. No validators,
nadda... It's actually a pretty vanilla page which is why I'm surprised and
stumped.

My test server is also my development PC and every other project appears to
be functioning normally. I'll reinstall the client side scripts... perhaps
that will fix whatever is going on.

Any other thoughts??
~A~

Trevor Benedict R

I suspect the client side code generate by the SmartNavigation script. Have
you checked you machine to see for any adware/spware, those might also crash
IE. In this case I am not sure why it does not happen when SMARTNAVIGATION
is diasabled.

I would also check the IIS Log files to see if the URI is repeatedly called.
In which case I would suspect a postback, else it could be entirely client
side related. Remember that the IIS log files may not show the entries
immediately.

I would also use IISStatus from
http://www.alchemy.co.nz/products/products_6_1.html to see what' request are
being processed on the web server. You have to copy this file to the root
folder fo the default website and load this as a ISAPI Filter into the
Default Web Site (hope this is where you are creating your web
applications). It works without restarting the webserver. Change the Execute
Permission to scripts and Executables for your defaultl Home. You can remove
the ISAPI filter and reset the settings after the test. Then browse to
http://localhost/iisstatus.dll to see a list of executing pages.

You can also download the FileMon and RegMon from
http://www.sysinternals.com and see what is happening on the clint side and
then let us know. also find out if you ahve anything in the Windows Event
Log.

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
MCSD

Trevor Benedict R

Do you by any chance have Zone Alarm installed on your PC. If so disable it
and try again and let us know.

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
MCSD

Guest

K - I've reinstalled the Client Side Scripts... I run two forms of
Antispyware as well as an Enterprise antivirus client (our entire campus uses
it) on the machine at all times and nothing is showing up as far as that
stuff goes.

Still gettin' the infinite loop on the page - EVEN WITH NOTHING in the
Page_Load method.

I'm considering uninstalling .NET 1.1 and reinstalling it... but the
behavior does NOT happen with the 30 other web apps on this box... :(

Trevor - thanks for the replies thus far - hopefully we can figure it out.
~A~

Guest

Following up...

This will bake your noodle.

I rebooted the machine; uninstalled .NET 1.1; stopped/started IIS;
reinstalled .NET 1.1 (/i); created a simple TEST.aspx with NO code whatsoever
in it; set it to be the Start Page... and...

With "smartNavigation=True" the infinite loop behavior shows up!! With it
set to False, things work normally again. NO CODE and this is still happening.

I'm at a total loss...