    I know there are probably a lot of you who just found out that apple's
    java is still stuck on 5 after the Leopard release. Any of you on
    here that want to share your thoughts on the subject?

    Danno, Oct 29, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    Danno <> wrote:
    >I know there are probably a lot of you who just found out that apple's
    >java is still stuck on 5 after the Leopard release. Any of you on
    >here that want to share your thoughts on the subject?

    I'm not sure why anyone would expect any different when Apple's "300
    points" list for Leopard made no mention of Java6 at all.

    Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't suck but at least it does so
    predictably :-/

    Cheers,
    Bent D
    powered by emacs

    Bent C Dalager, Oct 29, 2007

  3. Bent C Dalager wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Danno <> wrote:
    >> I know there are probably a lot of you who just found out that apple's
    >> java is still stuck on 5 after the Leopard release. Any of you on
    >> here that want to share your thoughts on the subject?

    > I'm not sure why anyone would expect any different when Apple's "300
    > points" list for Leopard made no mention of Java6 at all.
    >
    > Of course, that doesn't mean it doesn't suck but at least it does so
    > predictably :-/
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Bent D

    Do any of Sun's Linux versions run on Leopard?

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/

    Knute Johnson, Oct 29, 2007
  4. Danno

    Roedy Green Guest

    >I'm not sure why anyone would expect any different when Apple's "300
    >points" list for Leopard made no mention of Java6 at all.

    Are Apple's string of OS's incompatible with each other? Can't you
    run an OSX app on Leopard?

    I presume Leopard is the beta name. Does it have a release name?
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Oct 30, 2007
  5. On Oct 29, 7:16 pm, Danno <> wrote:
    > I know there are probably a lot of you who just found out that apple's
    > java is still stuck on 5 after the Leopard release. Any of you on
    > here that want to share your thoughts on the subject?

    Apple could have been more diligent and proactive, but the final
    responsibility for producing Java rests on Sun Microsystems.

    Sun should be very interested on Java running on the Mac; after all
    the only evidence of the theoretical "write once, run anywhere" is
    that Java runs on two O/S: Windows and Unix (then again, in some of
    its variations only).

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Oct 30, 2007
  6. Danno

    Christian Guest

    Ramon F Herrera schrieb:
    > On Oct 29, 7:16 pm, Danno <> wrote:
    >> I know there are probably a lot of you who just found out that apple's
    >> java is still stuck on 5 after the Leopard release. Any of you on
    >> here that want to share your thoughts on the subject?

    > Apple could have been more diligent and proactive, but the final
    > responsibility for producing Java rests on Sun Microsystems.
    >
    > Sun should be very interested on Java running on the Mac; after all
    > the only evidence of the theoretical "write once, run anywhere" is
    > that Java runs on two O/S: Windows and Unix (then again, in some of
    > its variations only).
    >
    > -Ramon

    Doesn`t Apple produce the jvm for the MAC by itself as they want to
    build in their own features/hacks ?

    Christian, Oct 30, 2007
  7. Roedy Green wrote:
    >> I'm not sure why anyone would expect any different when Apple's "300
    >> points" list for Leopard made no mention of Java6 at all.

    > Are Apple's string of OS's incompatible with each other? Can't you
    > run an OSX app on Leopard?
    >
    > I presume Leopard is the beta name. Does it have a release name?

    Leopard is the code name for 10.5 which has just been generally
    released (not beta).

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Oct 30, 2007
  8. Christian wrote:
    > Ramon F Herrera schrieb:
    >> Sun should be very interested on Java running on the Mac; after all
    >> the only evidence of the theoretical "write once, run anywhere" is
    >> that Java runs on two O/S: Windows and Unix (then again, in some of
    >> its variations only).

    > Doesn`t Apple produce the jvm for the MAC by itself as they want to
    > build in their own features/hacks ?

    True.

    But that is actually the standard.

    SUN provides for Windows and Linux.

    But the rest is by OS vendor:

    SUN - Solaris
    Apple - MacOS X
    IBM - z/OS
    IBM - AIX
    IBM - whatever they call OS/400 this week
    HP - OpenVMS
    HP - HP-UX
    etc.

    Arne

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=, Oct 30, 2007
  9. On Oct 29, 10:17 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > Christian wrote:
    > > Ramon F Herrera schrieb:
    > >> Sun should be very interested on Java running on the Mac; after all
    > >> the only evidence of the theoretical "write once, run anywhere" is
    > >> that Java runs on two O/S: Windows and Unix (then again, in some of
    > >> its variations only).

    > > Doesn`t Apple produce the jvm for the MAC by itself as they want to
    > > build in their own features/hacks ?

    > True.
    >
    > But that is actually the standard.
    >
    > SUN provides for Windows and Linux.
    >
    > But the rest is by OS vendor:
    >
    > SUN - Solaris
    > Apple - MacOS X
    > IBM - z/OS
    > IBM - AIX
    > IBM - whatever they call OS/400 this week
    > HP - OpenVMS
    > HP - HP-UX
    > etc.
    >
    > Arne

    Really? I am surprised. Has this self-development been going on
    forever or since Java was open sourced recently?

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Oct 30, 2007
  10. Danno

    Danno Guest

    On Oct 29, 10:40 pm, Ramon F Herrera <> wrote:
    > On Oct 29, 10:17 pm, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >

    > > Christian wrote:
    > > > Doesn`t Apple produce the jvm for the MAC by itself as they want to
    > > > build in their own features/hacks ?

    > > True.

    > > But that is actually the standard.

    > > SUN provides for Windows and Linux.

    > > But the rest is by OS vendor:

    > > SUN - Solaris
    > > Apple - MacOS X
    > > IBM - z/OS
    > > IBM - AIX
    > > IBM - whatever they call OS/400 this week
    > > HP - OpenVMS
    > > HP - HP-UX
    > > etc.

    > > Arne

    > Really? I am surprised. Has this self-development been going on
    > forever or since Java was open sourced recently?
    >
    > -Ramon

    AFAIK, Sun has always provided Windows, Solaris. Blackdown.org did
    the only linux for a while, but then sun developed their own linux
    vm. That was it for Sun, they never did anything else for Apple, IBM,
    or HP machines. Also, Oracle and BEA have their VMs too.

    Danno, Oct 30, 2007
  11. Danno

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:50:14 -0000, Danno <>
    wrote:

    > AFAIK, Sun has always provided Windows, Solaris. Blackdown.org did
    > the only linux for a while, but then sun developed their own linux
    > vm. That was it for Sun, they never did anything else for Apple, IBM,
    > or HP machines. Also, Oracle and BEA have their VMs too.

    Most of the 3rd-party implementations, including IBM's and Apple's, use
    code licensed from Sun. The most recent stable release from Apple is
    based on Sun's JDK 1.5.0_07. Most of what they have added is in
    integrating the GUI stuff so that it looks nice on OS X.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.uncommons.org

    Daniel Dyer, Oct 30, 2007
  12. Danno

    Mark Space Guest

    Danno wrote:
    > I know there are probably a lot of you who just found out that apple's
    > java is still stuck on 5 after the Leopard release. Any of you on
    > here that want to share your thoughts on the subject?

    I don't use a Mac, but considering that there's a new thread about bugs
    and crashes related to the file dialog in 1.6, your "betrayal" is
    starting to look like a smart move.

    Maybe Apple knew something the rest of us didn't....

    Mark Space, Oct 30, 2007
  13. Danno

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:14:33 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>

    >Leopard is the code name for 10.5 which has just been generally
    >released (not beta).

    Here is what I have found out about it.

    Leopard is version 10.5 of Apple's OS X operating system for the
    MacIntosh. Most changes are to the look of the desktop. You have
    stacks — icons that pop open displaying their contents in a fan (or
    optionally the traditional grid). The active window has a drop shadow.
    Cover-Flow while browsing folders lets you see a preview of the
    document. It can search all machines on a local LAN. It has
    Magellan-like Quick-Look to let you rapidly view files without loading
    the full application. Time Machine is an incremental backup of your
    entire machine that backs up any changes every hour to on external
    hard disk. It lets you support multiple desktops that Apple calls
    spaces. You can move apps between spaces in the bird's eye view.

    Unfortunately, it does not support Java 1.6.

    Roedy Green, Oct 30, 2007
  14. On Oct 30, 3:17 am, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    > SUN provides for Windows and Linux.
    >
    > But the rest is by OS vendor:
    >
    > SUN - Solaris
    > Apple - MacOS X
    > IBM - z/OS
    > IBM - AIX
    > IBM - whatever they call OS/400 this week
    > HP - OpenVMS
    > HP - HP-UX
    > etc.
    >
    > Arne

    As a side questions, who provides JVM for JavaME?

    --
    Régis

    =?iso-8859-1?B?UulnaXMgROljYW1wcw==?=, Oct 30, 2007
  15. Régis Décamps <> wrote:
    > On Oct 30, 3:17 am, Arne Vajhøj <> wrote:
    >> SUN provides for Windows and Linux.
    >> But the rest is by OS vendor:
    >> SUN - Solaris
    >> Apple - MacOS X
    >> etc.

    > As a side questions, who provides JVM for JavaME?

    Probably the vendor of that respective JavaME-supporting
    platform, or whoever is "hired" by that vendor for that job ...

    Just my guess.

    Andreas Leitgeb, Oct 31, 2007
  16. On Oct 30, 5:40 am, Ramon F Herrera <> wrote:
    > Really? I am surprised. Has this self-development been going on
    > forever or since Java was open sourced recently?

    Forever. That's how Sun makes money from Java. Vendors license various
    bits and pieces of Java technology from Sun and implement Java on
    their platform. Depending on what you buy from Sun you get source
    code, tools, trademark rights, etc.

    Want to do your own SE implementation? Go to http://java.sun.com/javase/licensees.jsp
    and pay Sun.

    The licensing business and the use of the Java trademark for
    incompatible derivatives were Sun's biggest worries when open-sourcing
    Java. Sun still restricts the use of the trademark. This is one of the
    reasons the Red Had people call their experimental OpenJDK-based
    project IcedTea.

    Hunter Gratzner, Oct 31, 2007