SoapExtension & Http headers

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by fred carter, Apr 2, 2004.

  1. fred carter

    fred carter Guest

    I would like to be able to set an arbitrary http header from a
    SoapExtension when said extension is acting on behalf of a client. I
    have not seen a means for doing so.

    For incoming messages or their responses (i.e. when the soap extension
    is intercepting a message as a server function), HttpContext... provides
    access to the underlying request/response http messages, so headers can
    be obtained or added from there. So that's fine.

    However, if a SoapExtension is operating on behalf of a client, either a
    "real" client or a web service which is calling out (acting as a client)
    to another web service, the SoapMessage available to the SoapExtension
    does not appear to contain any means for setting or getting arbitrary
    http headers. If it's a SoapClientMessage, it can set/get cookies. If
    the message is a SoapServerMessage, even this is unavailable

    If running as a web service acting as a client, HttpContext.Current
    seems to point to the original request/response that arrived.

    Thus, the question: if a SoapExtension is invoked on behalf of a web
    service client, how does one set/get http headers. Soap headers are
    available, but I haven't found access to arbitrary http requests.

    fred carter, Apr 2, 2004