Solution for MissingResourceException in apache standard taglib with xerces

Leo Sauermann

This kept me awake for the last week:

java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name
org.apache.taglibs.standard.resources.Resources, locale de_AT
at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException
(ResourceBundle.java:804)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:764)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:511)
at org.apache.taglibs.standard.resources.Resources.<clinit>
(Resources.java:90)
at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.core.NullAttributeException.
<init>(NullAttributeException.java:78)
at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.el.core.ExpressionUtil.evalNotNull
(ExpressionUtil.java:88)
at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.el.core.OutTag.evaluateExpressions
(OutTag.java:137)

The Problem:
(as to my understanding, the real cause only god/root knows)
When having apache standard jstl library version 1.0.3 together with Xerces
version 2.2.1 this gives bad blessing points and leads to the noted
exception. (running java sdk 1.4.1-b21)

I THINK that it has to do with xerces evaluating resources. It is clearly a
missing of a locale (this locale nobody should care a fart about -
developers aught to speak english)

The solution:
* Unjar (or unzip) your standard.jar containing apache's standard taglib.
* go to the subdir org\apache\taglibs\standard\resources
* copy Resources.properties and rename the copy to:
Resources_de_AT.properties
* jar (or zip) the files into a new standard.jar, possibly renamed to
"standard_fixedLocale_de_at.jar"

this should also work with other locales like fr or de_DE and so on....

argh, the "dll hell" crept into my java world....

greetings
Leo Sauermann
www.gnowsis.com