Solution for MissingResourceException in apache standard taglib with xerces

Discussion in 'Java' started by Leo Sauermann, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. This kept me awake for the last week:

    java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name
    org.apache.taglibs.standard.resources.Resources, locale de_AT
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException
    (ResourceBundle.java:804)
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:764)
    at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:511)
    at org.apache.taglibs.standard.resources.Resources.<clinit>
    (Resources.java:90)
    at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.core.NullAttributeException.
    <init>(NullAttributeException.java:78)
    at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.el.core.ExpressionUtil.evalNotNull
    (ExpressionUtil.java:88)
    at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.el.core.OutTag.evaluateExpressions
    (OutTag.java:137)

    The Problem:
    (as to my understanding, the real cause only god/root knows)
    When having apache standard jstl library version 1.0.3 together with Xerces
    version 2.2.1 this gives bad blessing points and leads to the noted
    exception. (running java sdk 1.4.1-b21)

    I THINK that it has to do with xerces evaluating resources. It is clearly a
    missing of a locale (this locale nobody should care a fart about -
    developers aught to speak english)

    The solution:
    * Unjar (or unzip) your standard.jar containing apache's standard taglib.
    * go to the subdir org\apache\taglibs\standard\resources
    * copy Resources.properties and rename the copy to:
    Resources_de_AT.properties
    * jar (or zip) the files into a new standard.jar, possibly renamed to
    "standard_fixedLocale_de_at.jar"

    this should also work with other locales like fr or de_DE and so on....

    argh, the "dll hell" crept into my java world....

    greetings
    Leo Sauermann
    www.gnowsis.com
    Leo Sauermann, Jul 28, 2003