some users cannot open asp page or see some images on the intranet

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by c676228, Mar 16, 2008.

  1. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a very strange question. I myself cannot even make any sense from it.

    We are migrating our site from one hosting company to another. In between we
    have an intranet testing server so we can migrate to this testing server
    before making final move.

    The strange thing is a couple of internal users have some problems to open
    some ASP page while others don't have problem at all. A user cannot see an
    image file on a page while other users can see all the images. I am wondering
    is there anything to do with access permission? I don't have any idea what's
    going on since the pages just sit on the server without any changes when
    users are testing.
    These pages are public pages, no password protection at all, all users as
    testers should have same set up. Do you think I have to check with our
    network manager?
    what questions I should ask? I don't have any idea.
    --
    Betty
    c676228, Mar 16, 2008

  2. c676228

    Steven Cheng Guest

    Hi Betty,

    From your description, you have some ASP pages on a internal test server
    for testing. You found that some internal users will encounter problems see
    a certain image on the asp page(while some others can always see the
    image), correct?

    Based on my understanding, the problem could be caused by the following
    things;

    ** some network related issue (machine specific)

    ** access permission issue, (user account specific)

    is the image(that can not display) also a local image file put together
    with ASP pages or an external image? If an external image, you may also
    consider some proxy related causes. For permission issue, you can check the
    server-side IIS log to see whether there is access error entry in the log
    of the certain site of the ASP pages(if the image is a local resource on
    the IIS server). You can also use some trace utility(such as the web
    development helper ) to lookup the http resposne message to see whether
    server-side return any access denied error for the image request.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng, Mar 17, 2008

  3. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    RE: some users cannot open asp page or see some images on the intr

    Hi Steven,
    I will try your suggestion.
    But how come one of our users have a problem to open only one specific ASP
    page, but not the other ASP pages. I cannot have a reasonable explanation at
    all.

    thanks.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Mar 17, 2008
  4. c676228

    Steven Cheng Guest

    RE: some users cannot open asp page or see some images on the intr

    Thanks for your reply reply.

    That does be a bit hard to explain from appearnce, but since the problem is
    definitely reproable, it would be easier to concentrate on that particular
    page and test by changing the other factors. We'll need to locate the
    problem by isolating more things.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <>

    <RlzQOA#>
    >Subject: RE: some users cannot open asp page or see some images on the intr
    >Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:19:02 -0700

    >Hi Steven,
    >I will try your suggestion.
    >But how come one of our users have a problem to open only one specific ASP
    >page, but not the other ASP pages. I cannot have a reasonable explanation

    at
    >all.
    >
    >thanks.
    >--
    >Betty
    >

    >""Steven Cheng"" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Betty,
    >>
    >> From your description, you have some ASP pages on a internal test server
    >> for testing. You found that some internal users will encounter problems

    see
    >> a certain image on the asp page(while some others can always see the
    >> image), correct?
    >>
    >> Based on my understanding, the problem could be caused by the following
    >> things;
    >>
    >> ** some network related issue (machine specific)
    >>
    >> ** access permission issue, (user account specific)
    >>
    >> is the image(that can not display) also a local image file put together
    >> with ASP pages or an external image? If an external image, you may also
    >> consider some proxy related causes. For permission issue, you can check

    the
    >> server-side IIS log to see whether there is access error entry in the

    log
    >> of the certain site of the ASP pages(if the image is a local resource on
    >> the IIS server). You can also use some trace utility(such as the web
    >> development helper ) to lookup the http resposne message to see whether
    >> server-side return any access denied error for the image request.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Steven Cheng
    >>
    >> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
    >>

    >> Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments

    and

    Please
    >> .

    >> ications.

    issues

    follow
    >> professional working with you may need further investigation to reach

    the
    >> most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for

    situations
    >> project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are

    best
    >> handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by

    contacting
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx.

    rights.

    Steven Cheng, Mar 17, 2008
  5. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?=
    <> writing in

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a very strange question. I myself cannot even make any sense
    > from it.
    >
    > We are migrating our site from one hosting company to another. In
    > between we have an intranet testing server so we can migrate to this
    > testing server before making final move.
    >
    > The strange thing is a couple of internal users have some problems to
    > open some ASP page while others don't have problem at all. A user
    > cannot see an image file on a page while other users can see all the
    > images. I am wondering is there anything to do with access permission?
    > I don't have any idea what's going on since the pages just sit on the
    > server without any changes when users are testing.
    > These pages are public pages, no password protection at all, all users
    > as testers should have same set up. Do you think I have to check with
    > our network manager?
    > what questions I should ask? I don't have any idea.

    Is everyone using the same browser? Does anyone have their browser set
    up differently than others? Anyone with different firewall settings?
    Does the rendered HTML validate (or at least has only minor errors)?

    Some browsers correct for grossly invalid markup, eg \images\myimage.jpg
    which should be images/myimage.jpg . IIRC, IE will correct this, but FF
    will not.

    Some browsers have add ons which disable some images if they are a
    certain size that might be that of an advert. Same thing with some
    software firewalls.

    Also check hosts file. If there are third party images, and the third
    party server is on the "deny" list, those images won't show.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Mar 17, 2008