some users cannot open asp page or see some images on the intranet

c676228

Hi all,

I have a very strange question. I myself cannot even make any sense from it.

We are migrating our site from one hosting company to another. In between we
have an intranet testing server so we can migrate to this testing server
before making final move.

The strange thing is a couple of internal users have some problems to open
some ASP page while others don't have problem at all. A user cannot see an
image file on a page while other users can see all the images. I am wondering
is there anything to do with access permission? I don't have any idea what's
going on since the pages just sit on the server without any changes when
users are testing.
These pages are public pages, no password protection at all, all users as
testers should have same set up. Do you think I have to check with our
network manager?
what questions I should ask? I don't have any idea.

Steven Cheng

Hi Betty,

From your description, you have some ASP pages on a internal test server
for testing. You found that some internal users will encounter problems see
a certain image on the asp page(while some others can always see the
image), correct?

Based on my understanding, the problem could be caused by the following
things;

** some network related issue (machine specific)

** access permission issue, (user account specific)

is the image(that can not display) also a local image file put together
with ASP pages or an external image? If an external image, you may also
consider some proxy related causes. For permission issue, you can check the
server-side IIS log to see whether there is access error entry in the log
of the certain site of the ASP pages(if the image is a local resource on
the IIS server). You can also use some trace utility(such as the web
development helper ) to lookup the http resposne message to see whether
server-side return any access denied error for the image request.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

c676228

Hi Steven,
I will try your suggestion.
But how come one of our users have a problem to open only one specific ASP
page, but not the other ASP pages. I cannot have a reasonable explanation at
all.

thanks.
--
Betty

"Steven Cheng" said:
Hi Betty,

From your description, you have some ASP pages on a internal test server
[...]

Thanks for your reply reply.

That does be a bit hard to explain from appearnce, but since the problem is
definitely reproable, it would be easier to concentrate on that particular
page and test by changing the other factors. We'll need to locate the
problem by isolating more things.

From: =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?= <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: some users cannot open asp page or see some images on the intr
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:19:02 -0700
Hi Steven,
I will try your suggestion.
But how come one of our users have a problem to open only one specific ASP
page, but not the other ASP pages. I cannot have a reasonable explanation at
all.

thanks.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed =?Utf-8?B?YzY3NjIyOA==?=
[...]

Is everyone using the same browser? Does anyone have their browser set
up differently than others? Anyone with different firewall settings?
Does the rendered HTML validate (or at least has only minor errors)?

Some browsers correct for grossly invalid markup, eg \images\myimage.jpg
which should be images/myimage.jpg . IIRC, IE will correct this, but FF
will not.

Some browsers have add ons which disable some images if they are a
certain size that might be that of an advert. Same thing with some
software firewalls.

Also check hosts file. If there are third party images, and the third
party server is on the "deny" list, those images won't show.