Something likes crontab on Unix.

Tutico

Please help me!

How to make Perl program that run it every 10 minutes and don't visibly slow
down Windows based PC. Something likes crontab on Unix.

Thanks

Ric

Tutico said:
Please help me!

How to make Perl program that run it every 10 minutes and don't visibly slow
down Windows based PC. Something likes crontab on Unix.

Thanks

Maybe you should try to explain a little better what you are up to. I'm
not exactly sure what you have in mind.

Windows has sheduled tasks, see:

http://www.iopus.com/guides/winscheduler.htm

Is that okay what you need or do you need to start a perl programm, that
sleeps for 10 minutes does processing and sleeps again for 10 min?

Mr P

Tutico said:
Please help me!

How to make Perl program that run it every 10 minutes and don't visibly slow
down Windows based PC. Something likes crontab on Unix.

Thanks

Some of our team was anti-cron, so in one case we coded up a
psuedo-cron perpetual perl program like:

do stuff <---
. |
. |
sleep n ----

I wasn't really in favor of this approach, mainly because cron() would
handle messaging, recovery, sync with system time, and the interval can
be adjusted by non-programmers. But after a year of use, I will say its
been robust. Note however that the n in sleep is much more
*approximate* than 10 exact minutes. At the very least each cycle is (n
+ execution time), and there are potentially more errors introduced
beyond that.

You will proably want to NOHUP it if that's somehow possible in a
psuedo-OS like you're using.

Jürgen Exner

Tutico said:
How to make Perl program that run it every 10 minutes and don't
visibly slow down Windows based PC. Something likes crontab on Unix.

Anything wrong with Scheduled Tasks?

jue