    bindings) are "informative". What exactly does that mean? I've assumed it
    means that the following is a suggestion and doesn't need to be implemented
    to the letter. Is that right?

    Derek Fountain, Jul 2, 2004

  2. Derek Fountain wrote:

    > The DOM Level 3 specification says a few of its sections (like the Java
    > bindings) are "informative". What exactly does that mean? I've assumed it
    > means that the following is a suggestion and doesn't need to be implemented
    > to the letter. Is that right?

    I think so, I haven't found a definition of informative in the DOM
    specification but for instance the document
    http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10/glossary.html
    which is a glossary in an unrelated W3C report says

    What is identified as "normative" is required for conformance (noting
    that one may conform in a variety of well-defined ways to this
    document). What is identified as "informative" (sometimes,
    "non-normative") is never required for conformance.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Jul 2, 2004