Special Characters in passed Query String

Sunshine Valdes

Hello all. I am a very new ASP programmer and am having problems with a
special character in a query string. The first pages pulls up a record and
when the id number is click, you go to the details page. The records rowid
is passed to the second page and then the database is requeried for the
detail results. We came across this problem when a rowid in
Oracle(hexadecimal) had a + in it.

This is what is passed:
http://servername/details.asp?privrow=AAAKN/ADjAAAM8CAA+&vessrow=00000000.0000.0000

but

subnum = Request.QueryString("privrow") = AAAKN/ADjAAAM8CAA not
AAAKN/ADjAAAM8CAA+

At this point I get rowid invalid.

Here is the code that creates the string:
response.write("<A href=""details.asp?privrow=" &
replace(trim(Recordset1.Fields.Item("rowid1").Value) + "&vessrow=" +
trim(Recordset1.Fields.Item("rowid2").Value),"%20","") & """>") %>

<%=(Recordset1.Fields.Item("lic_num").Value)%></A>

And the code that reads it:
subnum = Request.QueryString("privrow")

I must add a side note, this is a site I have little experience with. I've
inherited it with these problems and must just apply a fix and not a
rewrite. I know there is probably a better way to handle this but it's not
feasable at this time.

Thanks for your time,
Sunshine

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Use server.urlencode() before appending the value to the querystring.

Adrienne

[...]

Replace the + with & . IIRC + is for javascript.