specialization of member template

mark.mac

Hello,

I couldn't figure out how to specialize the following member template:

#include <iostream>
template <typename T1> class sample {
T1 value;

public:
sample(T1 v) : value(v) {}
template <typename T2> T1 val(T2 arg);
};

template <typename T1> template <typename T2> T1 sample<T1>::val(T2 arg)
{
return arg + value;
}

template <typename T1> template <> T1 sample<T1>::val(char arg)
{
return arg + value;
}

int main()
{
sample<int> s(0);
char c = 'a';
int i = 10;
std ::cout << s.val(c) << std::endl;
std::cout << s.val(i) << std::endl;
return 0;
}

I only want to partial specialize with T2 = char. Above gives error
"enclosing class templates are not explicitly specialized"

How do I fix this? Thanks.

Mark

pastbin

[...]

You can't explicitly specialize a class or member template unless its
enclosing class templates are also explicitly specialized.

mark.mac

You can't explicitly specialize a class or member template unless its
enclosing class templates are also explicitly specialized.

So are you saying I have to specialized T1 to make it work?

pastbin

So are you saying I have to specialized T1 to make it work?

Yes. It could be:

template <> template <> int sample<int>::val<char>(char arg)
{
return arg + value;

Marek Vondrak

So are you saying I have to specialized T1 to make it work?

You can implement val() by delegation to an overloaded function or a
function of a helper template that takes the two template parameters T1 and
T2 and is partially specialized as appropriate.

-- Marek

Andrey Tarasevich

I couldn't figure out how to specialize the following member template:

#include <iostream>
template <typename T1> class sample {
T1 value;

public:
sample(T1 v) : value(v) {}
template <typename T2> T1 val(T2 arg);
};

template <typename T1> template <typename T2> T1 sample<T1>::val(T2 arg)
{
return arg + value;
}

template <typename T1> template <> T1 sample<T1>::val(char arg)
{
return arg + value;
I only want to partial specialize with T2 = char. Above gives error
"enclosing class templates are not explicitly specialized"

How do I fix this? Thanks.

In C++ for some reason explicit specialization of member templates is
only allowed when the enclosing class template is also explicitly
specialized.

For example, the following code is ill-formed for exactly that reason

template<typename T> struct A {
template<typename U> struct B { int i; };
template<> struct B<int> { int j; }; // <- ERROR
};

With class templates there's an [ugly] workaround: partial
specialization of member templates are perfectly OK, even without
specializing the enclosing class, so the above can be turned into a
partial specialization by introducing a dummy parameter

template<typename T> struct A {
template<typename U, typename DUMMY = void> struct B { int i; };
template<typename DUMMY> struct B<int, DUMMY> { int i; }; // <- OK
};

A<void>::B<char> bc;
A<void>::B<int> bi;

bc.i = 4;
bi.j = 2;

It is not exactly the same thing, but it helps in many cases (which
makes the aforementioned restriction on explicit specialization look
even more illogical).

In your case though we are dealing with a member function template, not
a member class template. Function templates don't support partial
specialization, which means that we can't use the above workaround.
However, I think you can achieve [almost?] what you want by using a
different C++ mechanism - function overloading. Just supply an
overloaded version of your function with 'char' argument and you should
be OK. Of course, you'll have to add its declaration to the template
class definition

template<typename T1> class sample {
T1 value;

public:
sample(T1 v) : value(v) {}
template<typename T2> T1 val(T2 arg);
T1 val(char arg);
};

template<typename T1> template<typename T2> T1 sample<T1>::val(T2 arg)
{
return arg + value;
}

template<typename T1> T1 sample<T1>::val(char arg)
{
return arg + value;
}

In contexts when member template arguments are not specified, the
compiler will select the overloaded function.

sample<int> s;
s.val('c'); // calls the overloaded 'char' version

But keep in mind that when the template arguments are specified
explicitly (or a mere '<>' is used), the template version will be chosen

s.val<>('c'); // instantiates and calls the template version
s.val<char>('c'); // instantiates and calls the template version

In this respect it is different from explicit specialization. I don't
know whether this matters in your case.

Andrey Tarasevich

Andrey said:
With class templates there's an [ugly] workaround: partial
specialization of member templates are perfectly OK, even without
specializing the enclosing class, so the above can be turned into a
partial specialization by introducing a dummy parameter

template<typename T> struct A {
template<typename U, typename DUMMY = void> struct B { int i; };
template<typename DUMMY> struct B<int, DUMMY> { int i; }; // <- OK
};

Sorry for the typo. Should be

template<typename DUMMY> struct B<int, DUMMY> { int j; }; // <- OK

mark.mac

Andrey Tarasevich wrote:
[snip]
In your case though we are dealing with a member function template, not
a member class template. Function templates don't support partial
specialization, which means that we can't use the above workaround.
However, I think you can achieve [almost?] what you want by using a
different C++ mechanism - function overloading. Just supply an
overloaded version of your function with 'char' argument and you should
be OK. Of course, you'll have to add its declaration to the template
class definition

Yes, that's what I did, thanks for your time.
Mark