    library for Java? I am writing a proto type project, which records
    voice and translate that into English words/sentences.

    Thanks a lot. :)

    Kevin, Dec 4, 2006

  2. Kevin

    Chris Smith Guest

    Chris Smith, Dec 4, 2006

  3. Kevin

    Dale King Guest

    Chris Smith wrote:
    > Kevin <> wrote:
    >
    >>Does any one know any nice (and free) English speech recognition
    >>library for Java? I am writing a proto type project, which records
    >>voice and translate that into English words/sentences.

    > Google for JSAPI, and look at:
    >
    >>http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/speech/forDevelopers/jsapifaq.html#implementation

    > That should get you started.

    Actually it won't. While there are freely available text-to-speech JSAPI
    implementations available there are none for speech-to-text.

    One of the projects I have been working on in my spare time is to write
    a native API to interface to COM to interface with Microsoft's speech
    API which is freely available on Windows. This is Windoze specific and
    not JSAPI compliant, but is doable. Unfortunately it is still doable and
    not done ;-)

    --
    Dale King

    Dale King, Dec 8, 2006
  4. Kevin

    Guest

    Dale King wrote:
    > Chris Smith wrote:
    > > Kevin <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Does any one know any nice (and free) English speech recognition
    > >>library for Java? I am writing a proto type project, which records
    > >>voice and translate that into English words/sentences.

    > > Google for JSAPI, and look at:
    > >
    > >>http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/speech/forDevelopers/jsapifaq.html#implementation

    > > That should get you started.

    > Actually it won't. While there are freely available text-to-speech JSAPI
    > implementations available there are none for speech-to-text.
    >
    > One of the projects I have been working on in my spare time is to write
    > a native API to interface to COM to interface with Microsoft's speech
    > API which is freely available on Windows. This is Windoze specific and
    > not JSAPI compliant, but is doable. Unfortunately it is still doable and
    > not done ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Dale King

    Dale is right that there is no free as in freedom speech-to-text JSAPI
    implementation. But there is a free as in beer option. If you can do
    your prototype in a month, Cloud Garden has a 30-day trial of its
    implementation of JSAPI available here:
    http://www.cloudgarden.com/JSAPI/index.html

    The personal license for $16 is a bit restrictive, but it should be ok
    if you don't need to distribute your software (e.g., if you're doing
    research). It's $420 and up for effective redistribution of their
    library to customers.

    I just finished doing a speech-recognizing browser for hierarchical
    data with this technology, and it was a great aha moment when I got it
    talking. This document from Sun was an invaluable help to me:
    http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/speech/forDevelopers/jsapi-guide/index.html

    Good luck,
    Dan Lewis

    , Dec 15, 2006