    I'm very grateful for any help, I'm a bit perplexed... ;-)

    Best regards,
    David the Swedish student :)

    David, Nov 1, 2004

  2. In article <4186348c$>, David wrote:
    > Hi!
    > My name is David and I'm a Swedish student (so please overlook my bad
    > English) who is kind of new to VHDL. I've been given the assignment to
    > somehow implement a speech recognition system in VHDL for a later hardware
    > implementation. I've found tools for translating ANSI-C to VHDL, but not the
    > system itself.

    Sounds like a major task. This could be a topic for MSc thesis,
    or maybe even PhD...

    I'm not expert in speech recognition but I think a better solution
    would be part-hardware part-software solution, where heavy but
    straightforward initial signal processing would be done on ASIC/FPGA,
    and then the reduced data would be further processed in software.

    I hope you know how to do speech recognizion in general--if not, start
    first learning the principles, after that you should have an idea
    how to partition the problem into sw/hw.

    Tuukka Toivonen, Nov 1, 2004

  3. Tuukka Toivonen <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > I hope you know how to do speech recognizion in general--if not, start
    > first learning the principles, after that you should have an idea
    > how to partition the problem into sw/hw.

    http://www.eedesign.com/isd/features/OEG20011106S0050

    Also, TI has lots of articles on stuff like this with DSPs doing the
    grunt work. Of course it's not VHDL, but the problem solving process
    is important. Anyway, one of their DSP examples:

    http://www.eetchina.com/ARTICLES/2001MAY/PDF1/2001MAY02_DSP_MSD_AN1138.PDF

    Good Luck!
    -t

    Anthony J Bybell, Nov 2, 2004