Sphinx hosting

Michele Simionato

Say you have a project with a lot of documentation in the form of
Sphinx pages (for instance a book project). What is the the easiest
way to publish it on the Web? I see that GitHub Pages allows you to
publish static pages, but I would need to check in both the .rst
sources and the .html output: it is not that annoying, but perhaps
there is already some services out there publishing Sphinx pages
directly. Do you know of any? Currently I am hosting my stuff on
Google Code but I do not see an easy way to publish the documentation
there. Any hint is appreciated.

Michele Simionato

Martin v. Loewis

Michele said:
Say you have a project with a lot of documentation in the form of
Sphinx pages (for instance a book project). What is the the easiest
way to publish it on the Web? I see that GitHub Pages allows you to
publish static pages, but I would need to check in both the .rst
sources and the .html output: it is not that annoying, but perhaps
there is already some services out there publishing Sphinx pages
directly. Do you know of any? Currently I am hosting my stuff on
Google Code but I do not see an easy way to publish the documentation
there. Any hint is appreciated.

If it's a Python package that this documentation is about, you can host
it on PyPI.

Regards,
Martin

Michele Simionato

If it's a Python package that this documentation is about, you can host
it on PyPI.

It must not be Python, but let's consider this case first. How does it
work? When I published
my decorator module (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/decorator) the
support was not very good.
At the end I decided to put the generated .html inside the
long_description field instead of the .rst
source to get the look and feel I wanted. Moreover the
long_description hack works for a single page
documentation, but I am talking here of a book-sized document with
many pages and hyperlinks.
Do you know of recent improvements on the PyPI side about docs
hosting? The CheeseShopTutorial http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopTutorial
seems to give the same info of the last time I checked.

James Mills

Cool, that's good to know. I am still accepting recommendations for
non-Python projects ;)

bitbucket (1) also provide static file hosting through the wiki. From
what I understand (tested)
you simply clone the wiki repository (which is it's own repository)
and commit a bunch of .html
files.

cheers
James

1. http://bitbucket.org/

Michele Simionato

bitbucket (1) also provide static file hosting through the wiki. From
what I understand (tested)
you simply clone the wiki repository (which is it's own repository)
and commit a bunch of .html
files.

cheers
James

1.http://bitbucket.org/

Interesting. I tried to see if the same was true for the Wiki in
Google code but apparently it does not work. Does anybody here know if
it is possible to publish raw html in the Google Code wiki and how
does it work?

James Mills

Interesting. I tried to see if the same was true for the Wiki in
Google code but apparently it does not work. Does anybody here know if
it is possible to publish raw html in the Google Code wiki and how
does it work?

I may be wrong, but I recall that Google Code Hosting's Wiki Engine
has a macro that will allow you to render raw HTML.

cheers
James

Michele Simionato

I may be wrong, but I recall that Google Code Hosting's Wiki Engine
has a macro that will allow you to render raw HTML.

cheers
James

I am sure it has, but I was talking about just putting in the
repository an index.html file and have it published, the wayI hear it
works in BitBucket and GitHub.

James Mills

I am sure it has, but I was talking about just putting in the
repository an index.html file and have it published, the wayI hear  it
works in BitBucket and GitHub.

I'm pretty sure Google Code Hosting doesn't support
rendering text/html mime-type files in the repository (like Trac can).

On a side-note, not sure if you're interested in this at all...

I wrote (for the hell/fun of it) a "Sphinx Server", here's the code:

http://codepad.org/ywo8pscb

This uses the latest development version of circuits (1)

cheers
James

1. http://bitbucket.org/prologic/circuits/

Michele Simionato

I'm pretty sure Google Code Hosting doesn't support
rendering text/html mime-type files in the repository (like Trac can).

At the end I discovered that if you put HTML files into a Googlecode
repository and you click on "display raw file" it just works (TM). So
my problem was already solved and I my worries were unjustified. I
have just committed my talk at the Italian PyCon and all the
stylesheets are recognized just fine: http://micheles.googlecode.com/hg/pypers/pycon10/talk.html