spinoza1111 resigns from "segfault city"

spinoza1111

"segfault city" was an interchange wherein Richard Heathfield posted a
complete lie:

This would be a straightforward test for numerics:

int to_digit(int ch)
{
return isdigit((unsigned char)ch) ? ch - '0' : -1;
}
</heathfield>

I have made all the replies I am going to make, since this is
comp.lang.c, and I have no special expertise in the outdated language
C, which needs to be retired because it cannot be standardized. My
replies will clutter the newsgroup with a flame war and nettiquette
demands I make this decision.

Richard Heathfield, this night, has been sitting at his computer firing
off confusion and lies to maintain his position in this intellectual
slum. He didn't have the courage to comment at dds although other
people have, one with an absurdly global charge of incompetence.

I will instead fix the error at the original site for the community at
that site. Thanks to the users who pointed out the strcat error (REH
did not, instead made global charges).

I no longer plan to post to or examine either comp.programming or
comp.lang.c since it is filled with data smog, created by people with
low self-esteem who cannot post elsewhere.

The above claim and code by Richard Heathfield was really the last
straw because it is a lie: the code does not test for numerics at all.
It's not an honest mistake but part of an effort to sow confusion and
bad feeling, directly comparable to the insinuations made about John
Kerry's war record and that's why I called it Swift Boating.

I don't need this shit.

Richard Heathfield is Swift Boating me as he and his buddies Swift
Boated Herb Schildt, with a Bush-like campaign of confusion (as in his
babbling about EBCDIC) and lies as in the above code.

Andrew Poelstra

"segfault city" was an interchange wherein Richard Heathfield posted a
complete lie:

</heathfield>

I have made all the replies I am going to make, since this is
comp.lang.c, and I have no special expertise in the outdated language
C, which needs to be retired because it cannot be standardized. My
replies will clutter the newsgroup with a flame war and nettiquette
demands I make this decision.

C isn't outdated at all. And it can indeed be standardized, and is has,
by ISO C90.

Glad to see you go, however. Good luck with whatever it is you claim to
do.
Richard Heathfield, this night, has been sitting at his computer firing
off confusion and lies to maintain his position in this intellectual
slum. He didn't have the courage to comment at dds although other
people have, one with an absurdly global charge of incompetence.

Um, Richard didn't once lie or confuse anyone but you. I've read all his
posts in that thread, and they were fairly basic C. I think that you owe
him an apology.
I will instead fix the error at the original site for the community at
that site. Thanks to the users who pointed out the strcat error (REH
did not, instead made global charges).

Global charges? I'm not sure what you mean by that.
I no longer plan to post to or examine either comp.programming or
comp.lang.c since it is filled with data smog, created by people with
low self-esteem who cannot post elsewhere.

Right. No one here could ever, say, stop posting to write a book. Oh wait,
Richard Heathfield, Lawrence Kirby, Dann Corbit, Ben Pfaff and others
already did that. (I apologize to those I missed.) Why don't you stop
lying?
The above claim and code by Richard Heathfield was really the last
straw because it is a lie: the code does not test for numerics at all.
It's not an honest mistake but part of an effort to sow confusion and
bad feeling, directly comparable to the insinuations made about John
Kerry's war record and that's why I called it Swift Boating.

Well, I couldn't for the life of me understand your bloated and crappy
code, so I can't say that it was or wasn't a lie. I do know that RH
rewrote your program such that it ran a few billion times faster for
large inputs.
I don't need this shit.

We don't need you.
Richard Heathfield is Swift Boating me as he and his buddies Swift
Boated Herb Schildt, with a Bush-like campaign of confusion (as in his
babbling about EBCDIC) and lies as in the above code.

If you want to deny the existence of other platforms than your own, go
right ahead. I'll be at clc if you want to complain when you can't
port anything.

Richard Heathfield

On 2006-06-24, (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]> wrote:

Um, Richard didn't once lie or confuse anyone but you. I've read all his
posts in that thread, and they were fairly basic C. I think that you owe
him an apology.

Actually, he owes me several dozen, but we'll let it pass. Yes, you're right
- everything I've said about C in this thread has been very much 101 stuff,
that we'd all expect a C teacher to be well aware of.

"The" error? There are quite a few to fix. I wonder which one he means.

I'm not sure what the 'E' is meant to stand for. As for "not pointing out
the error", it's the very reason I chose the title.

Global charges? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I think he must mean he's always wrong. It's certainly hard to remember
anything he got right.

<snip>

Malcolm

Andrew Poelstra said:
Right. No one here could ever, say, stop posting to write a book. Oh wait,
Richard Heathfield, Lawrence Kirby, Dann Corbit, Ben Pfaff and others
already did that. (I apologize to those I missed.) Why don't you stop
lying?
Time for a plug of "MiniBasic, how to write a script interpreter".

www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

Mark McIntyre

"segfault city" was an interchange wherein Richard Heathfield posted a
complete lie:

Nope. You're doing that right now.

*replonk*

--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

pete

Richard said:
Andrew Poelstra said:

I'm not sure what the 'E' is meant to stand for.

I think it's a misspelling of RJH,
which as we all know, means Richard James bond Heathfield:
The secret paid agent of MI6
with the triple 0 licence to critique C code.

Morris Dovey

[ OP didn't appear on news.qwest.net, so I'll respond here... ]

|| "segfault city" was an interchange wherein Richard Heathfield
|| posted a complete lie:
|| <heathfield>
|| Richard Heathfield wrote:
||| This would be a straightforward test for numerics:
||| int to_digit(int ch)
||| {
||| return isdigit((unsigned char)ch) ? ch - '0' : -1;
||| }
|| </heathfield>
|| I have made all the replies I am going to make, since this is
|| comp.lang.c, and I have no special expertise in the outdated
|| language C, which needs to be retired because it cannot be
|| standardized. My replies will clutter the newsgroup with a flame
|| war and nettiquette demands I make this decision.

I've read Richard's postings to comp.lang.c for more than a decade and
have never found him to speak other than forthrightly and truthfully.
Moreover, his honest mistakes (very few and very far between) have
been immediately and gracefully acknowledged.

The C programming language /has/ been standardized; and you can
download a copy of the official standard from the ANSI store
(http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS/ISO/
IEC+9899%2D1999) for a paltry US$18.

|| Richard Heathfield, this night, has been sitting at his computer
|| firing off confusion and lies to maintain his position in this
|| intellectual slum. He didn't have the courage to comment at dds
|| although other people have, one with an absurdly global charge of
|| incompetence.

Richard has no "position" in comp.lang.c other than "participant". He
has earned considerable respect from his peers for his patience and
willingness to help those who seek to learn how to write
standard-compliant C programs.

I have difficulty equating courage to posting on a blog - so I suspect
that you and I may define courage differently. I've chosen to respect
Richard's courage because I respect his integrity - and because I
perceive that the former is a prerequisite for the latter.

As far as comp.lang.c being an intellectual slum, I would guess that
(as with the rest of usenet) what you get is what you bring.

|| I will instead fix the error at the original site for the
|| community at that site. Thanks to the users who pointed out the
|| strcat error (REH did not, instead made global charges).

Correcting errors is nearly always a good idea. Even better than
correcting errors - especially if one accepts the responsibilities
inherent in teaching others - is exercising the care to not present
those errors to students who lack the knowledge and experience to
recognize them as errors.

|| I no longer plan to post to or examine either comp.programming or
|| comp.lang.c since it is filled with data smog, created by people
|| with low self-esteem who cannot post elsewhere.

Ok. My observation is that the participants here are primarily
interested in learning and teaching the C programming language in a
standard-compliant fashion. If neither of those activities is where
your interest lies, then there are probably more worthwhile places for
you to focus your attention.

|| The above claim and code by Richard Heathfield was really the last
|| straw because it is a lie: the code does not test for numerics at
|| all. It's not an honest mistake but part of an effort to sow
|| confusion and bad feeling, directly comparable to the insinuations
|| made about John Kerry's war record and that's why I called it
|| Swift Boating.
|| I don't need this shit.

Well yes, I think I'm beginning to see what you mean about
"intellectual slum". You've just strongly reinforced my earlier
impression.

|| Richard Heathfield is Swift Boating me as he and his buddies Swift
|| Boated Herb Schildt, with a Bush-like campaign of confusion (as in
|| his babbling about EBCDIC) and lies as in the above code.

Babbling? I guess it may be one of those cases in which you needed to
be there to understand. FWIW, he wasn't babbling - I lived in an
EBCDIC-only universe for seven years. Remember, just because you
didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't there - or that it wasn't
important.

Herbert Rosenau

"segfault city" was an interchange wherein Richard Heathfield posted a
complete lie:

The only who lies constantly is the fool who named itself as
(e-mail address removed)

--
Tschau/Bye
Herbert