spinoza1111 resigns from "segfault city"

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by spinoza1111@yahoo.com, Jun 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    "segfault city" was an interchange wherein Richard Heathfield posted a
    complete lie:

    <heathfield>
    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > This would be a straightforward test for numerics:
    >
    > int to_digit(int ch)
    > {
    > return isdigit((unsigned char)ch) ? ch - '0' : -1;
    > }
    >

    </heathfield>

    I have made all the replies I am going to make, since this is
    comp.lang.c, and I have no special expertise in the outdated language
    C, which needs to be retired because it cannot be standardized. My
    replies will clutter the newsgroup with a flame war and nettiquette
    demands I make this decision.

    Richard Heathfield, this night, has been sitting at his computer firing
    off confusion and lies to maintain his position in this intellectual
    slum. He didn't have the courage to comment at dds although other
    people have, one with an absurdly global charge of incompetence.

    I will instead fix the error at the original site for the community at
    that site. Thanks to the users who pointed out the strcat error (REH
    did not, instead made global charges).

    I no longer plan to post to or examine either comp.programming or
    comp.lang.c since it is filled with data smog, created by people with
    low self-esteem who cannot post elsewhere.

    The above claim and code by Richard Heathfield was really the last
    straw because it is a lie: the code does not test for numerics at all.
    It's not an honest mistake but part of an effort to sow confusion and
    bad feeling, directly comparable to the insinuations made about John
    Kerry's war record and that's why I called it Swift Boating.

    I don't need this shit.

    Richard Heathfield is Swift Boating me as he and his buddies Swift
    Boated Herb Schildt, with a Bush-like campaign of confusion (as in his
    babbling about EBCDIC) and lies as in the above code.
    , Jun 24, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 2006-06-24, <> wrote:
    > "segfault city" was an interchange wherein Richard Heathfield posted a
    > complete lie:
    >
    ><heathfield>
    > Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >> This would be a straightforward test for numerics:
    >>
    >> int to_digit(int ch)
    >> {
    >> return isdigit((unsigned char)ch) ? ch - '0' : -1;
    >> }
    >>

    ></heathfield>
    >
    > I have made all the replies I am going to make, since this is
    > comp.lang.c, and I have no special expertise in the outdated language
    > C, which needs to be retired because it cannot be standardized. My
    > replies will clutter the newsgroup with a flame war and nettiquette
    > demands I make this decision.
    >


    C isn't outdated at all. And it can indeed be standardized, and is has,
    by ISO C90.

    Glad to see you go, however. Good luck with whatever it is you claim to
    do.

    > Richard Heathfield, this night, has been sitting at his computer firing
    > off confusion and lies to maintain his position in this intellectual
    > slum. He didn't have the courage to comment at dds although other
    > people have, one with an absurdly global charge of incompetence.
    >


    Um, Richard didn't once lie or confuse anyone but you. I've read all his
    posts in that thread, and they were fairly basic C. I think that you owe
    him an apology.

    > I will instead fix the error at the original site for the community at
    > that site. Thanks to the users who pointed out the strcat error (REH
    > did not, instead made global charges).
    >


    Global charges? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

    > I no longer plan to post to or examine either comp.programming or
    > comp.lang.c since it is filled with data smog, created by people with
    > low self-esteem who cannot post elsewhere.
    >


    Right. No one here could ever, say, stop posting to write a book. Oh wait,
    Richard Heathfield, Lawrence Kirby, Dann Corbit, Ben Pfaff and others
    already did that. (I apologize to those I missed.) Why don't you stop
    lying?

    > The above claim and code by Richard Heathfield was really the last
    > straw because it is a lie: the code does not test for numerics at all.
    > It's not an honest mistake but part of an effort to sow confusion and
    > bad feeling, directly comparable to the insinuations made about John
    > Kerry's war record and that's why I called it Swift Boating.
    >


    Well, I couldn't for the life of me understand your bloated and crappy
    code, so I can't say that it was or wasn't a lie. I do know that RH
    rewrote your program such that it ran a few billion times faster for
    large inputs.

    > I don't need this shit.
    >


    We don't need you.

    > Richard Heathfield is Swift Boating me as he and his buddies Swift
    > Boated Herb Schildt, with a Bush-like campaign of confusion (as in his
    > babbling about EBCDIC) and lies as in the above code.
    >


    If you want to deny the existence of other platforms than your own, go
    right ahead. I'll be at clc if you want to complain when you can't
    port anything.

    --
    Andrew Poelstra < http://www.wpsoftware.net/blog >
    To email me, use "apoelstra" at the above address.
    I know that area of town like the back of my head.
    Andrew Poelstra, Jun 24, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Andrew Poelstra said:

    > On 2006-06-24, <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >
    >> Richard Heathfield, this night, has been sitting at his computer firing
    >> off confusion and lies to maintain his position in this intellectual
    >> slum. He didn't have the courage to comment at dds although other
    >> people have, one with an absurdly global charge of incompetence.
    >>

    >
    > Um, Richard didn't once lie or confuse anyone but you. I've read all his
    > posts in that thread, and they were fairly basic C. I think that you owe
    > him an apology.


    Actually, he owes me several dozen, but we'll let it pass. Yes, you're right
    - everything I've said about C in this thread has been very much 101 stuff,
    that we'd all expect a C teacher to be well aware of.

    >> I will instead fix the error at the original site for the community at
    >> that site.


    "The" error? There are quite a few to fix. I wonder which one he means.

    >> Thanks to the users who pointed out the strcat error (REH
    >> did not,


    I'm not sure what the 'E' is meant to stand for. As for "not pointing out
    the error", it's the very reason I chose the title.


    >> instead made global charges).
    >>

    >
    > Global charges? I'm not sure what you mean by that.


    I think he must mean he's always wrong. It's certainly hard to remember
    anything he got right.

    <snip>


    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
    http://www.cpax.org.uk
    email: rjh at above domain (but drop the www, obviously)
    Richard Heathfield, Jun 24, 2006
    #3
  4. Malcolm Guest

    "Andrew Poelstra" <> wrote
    >
    >> I no longer plan to post to or examine either comp.programming or
    >> comp.lang.c since it is filled with data smog, created by people with
    >> low self-esteem who cannot post elsewhere.

    >
    > Right. No one here could ever, say, stop posting to write a book. Oh wait,
    > Richard Heathfield, Lawrence Kirby, Dann Corbit, Ben Pfaff and others
    > already did that. (I apologize to those I missed.) Why don't you stop
    > lying?
    >

    Time for a plug of "MiniBasic, how to write a script interpreter".

    www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm
    Malcolm, Jun 24, 2006
    #4
  5. On 24 Jun 2006 12:50:13 -0700, in comp.lang.c ,
    wrote:

    >"segfault city" was an interchange wherein Richard Heathfield posted a
    >complete lie:


    Nope. You're doing that right now.

    *replonk*

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are,
    by definition, not smart enough to debug it."
    --Brian Kernighan
    Mark McIntyre, Jun 24, 2006
    #5
  6. pete Guest

    [ot]Re: spinoza1111 resigns from "segfault city"

    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >
    > Andrew Poelstra said:
    >
    > > On 2006-06-24, <> wrote:


    > >> Thanks to the users who pointed out the strcat error (REH
    > >> did not,

    >
    > I'm not sure what the 'E' is meant to stand for.


    I think it's a misspelling of RJH,
    which as we all know, means Richard James bond Heathfield:
    The secret paid agent of MI6
    with the triple 0 licence to critique C code.

    --
    pete
    pete, Jun 24, 2006
    #6
  7. Morris Dovey Guest

    [ OP didn't appear on news.qwest.net, so I'll respond here... ]

    | On 2006-06-24, <> wrote:
    || "segfault city" was an interchange wherein Richard Heathfield
    || posted a complete lie:
    ||
    || <heathfield>
    || Richard Heathfield wrote:
    ||| This would be a straightforward test for numerics:
    |||
    ||| int to_digit(int ch)
    ||| {
    ||| return isdigit((unsigned char)ch) ? ch - '0' : -1;
    ||| }
    |||
    || </heathfield>
    ||
    || I have made all the replies I am going to make, since this is
    || comp.lang.c, and I have no special expertise in the outdated
    || language C, which needs to be retired because it cannot be
    || standardized. My replies will clutter the newsgroup with a flame
    || war and nettiquette demands I make this decision.

    I've read Richard's postings to comp.lang.c for more than a decade and
    have never found him to speak other than forthrightly and truthfully.
    Moreover, his honest mistakes (very few and very far between) have
    been immediately and gracefully acknowledged.

    The C programming language /has/ been standardized; and you can
    download a copy of the official standard from the ANSI store
    (http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstore/product.asp?sku=INCITS/ISO/
    IEC+9899%2D1999) for a paltry US$18.

    || Richard Heathfield, this night, has been sitting at his computer
    || firing off confusion and lies to maintain his position in this
    || intellectual slum. He didn't have the courage to comment at dds
    || although other people have, one with an absurdly global charge of
    || incompetence.

    Richard has no "position" in comp.lang.c other than "participant". He
    has earned considerable respect from his peers for his patience and
    willingness to help those who seek to learn how to write
    standard-compliant C programs.

    I have difficulty equating courage to posting on a blog - so I suspect
    that you and I may define courage differently. I've chosen to respect
    Richard's courage because I respect his integrity - and because I
    perceive that the former is a prerequisite for the latter.

    As far as comp.lang.c being an intellectual slum, I would guess that
    (as with the rest of usenet) what you get is what you bring.

    || I will instead fix the error at the original site for the
    || community at that site. Thanks to the users who pointed out the
    || strcat error (REH did not, instead made global charges).

    Correcting errors is nearly always a good idea. Even better than
    correcting errors - especially if one accepts the responsibilities
    inherent in teaching others - is exercising the care to not present
    those errors to students who lack the knowledge and experience to
    recognize them as errors.

    || I no longer plan to post to or examine either comp.programming or
    || comp.lang.c since it is filled with data smog, created by people
    || with low self-esteem who cannot post elsewhere.

    Ok. My observation is that the participants here are primarily
    interested in learning and teaching the C programming language in a
    standard-compliant fashion. If neither of those activities is where
    your interest lies, then there are probably more worthwhile places for
    you to focus your attention.

    || The above claim and code by Richard Heathfield was really the last
    || straw because it is a lie: the code does not test for numerics at
    || all. It's not an honest mistake but part of an effort to sow
    || confusion and bad feeling, directly comparable to the insinuations
    || made about John Kerry's war record and that's why I called it
    || Swift Boating.
    || I don't need this shit.

    Well yes, I think I'm beginning to see what you mean about
    "intellectual slum". You've just strongly reinforced my earlier
    impression.

    || Richard Heathfield is Swift Boating me as he and his buddies Swift
    || Boated Herb Schildt, with a Bush-like campaign of confusion (as in
    || his babbling about EBCDIC) and lies as in the above code.

    Babbling? I guess it may be one of those cases in which you needed to
    be there to understand. FWIW, he wasn't babbling - I lived in an
    EBCDIC-only universe for seven years. Remember, just because you
    didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't there - or that it wasn't
    important.

    --
    Morris Dovey
    DeSoto Solar
    DeSoto, Iowa USA
    http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto
    Morris Dovey, Jun 25, 2006
    #7
  8. On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 19:50:13 UTC, wrote:

    > "segfault city" was an interchange wherein Richard Heathfield posted a
    > complete lie:


    The only who lies constantly is the fool who named itself as


    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    Visit http://www.ecomstation.de the home of german eComStation
    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!
    Herbert Rosenau, Jun 26, 2006
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Richard Heathfield

    Segfault City

    Richard Heathfield, Jun 24, 2006, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    162
    Views:
    2,702
  2. Re: Segfault City

    , Jun 24, 2006, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    276
    Old Wolf
    Jun 27, 2006
  3. spinoza1111

    Return of spinoza1111

    spinoza1111, Aug 2, 2009, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    114
    Views:
    2,497
    spinoza1111
    Aug 10, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page