split a special character stored in variable

Ted Zlatanov

e> When I enter the character dot .
e> I find that perl cannot handle properly. It seems that I can't simply escape
e> add a backslash to escape whatever input delimiter. Is there any solution
e> for this problem?

e> $delimiter = <STDIN>;
e> chomp $delimiter;

e> @subcells = /$delimiter/, $line;

As Perl really, incredibly, lacks full out-of-ligature spacing,
you can't use the "." character. It's a language limitation. You're
supposed to use Unicode instead.

Ted

ela

When I enter the character dot .
I find that perl cannot handle properly. It seems that I can't simply escape
add a backslash to escape whatever input delimiter. Is there any solution
for this problem?

$delimiter = <STDIN>;
chomp $delimiter;

@subcells = /$delimiter/, $line;

Joe Smith

e> @subcells = /$delimiter/, $line;

As Perl really, incredibly, lacks full out-of-ligature spacing,

What does "out-of-ligature" spacing mean?
you can't use the "." character.

Of course you can. ASCII code 46 is a perfectly reasonable delimiter.
It's a language limitation. You're supposed to use Unicode instead.

What does Unicode have to do with the plain ASCII character for period?

-Joe

Lawrence Statton

Joe Smith said:

What does "out-of-ligature" spacing mean?

Of course you can. ASCII code 46 is a perfectly reasonable delimiter.

What does Unicode have to do with the plain ASCII character for period?

-Joe

You didn't read the date, did you?

Ted Zlatanov

JS> What does "out-of-ligature" spacing mean?

It has the first letters "ool" (take the first letters on that line ;)

Ted