Spring/Hibernate vs EJBs

Steve

What is your opinion about creating a commercial web site using Spring/Hibernate (e.g., with Tomcat) vs using EJBs (e.g., with
JBoss); I do realize that they are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Are there any special tools, products, libraries, etc. you
recommend for one or the other?

Thanks.

Steve

Ajay

What is your opinion about creating a commercial web site using Spring/Hibernate (e.g., with Tomcat) vs using EJBs (e.g., with
JBoss); I do realize that they are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Are there any special tools, products, libraries, etc. you
recommend for one or the other?

Thanks.

Steve

Depends on the requirements.
I would use EJB 3 for what ever EJB supports, and spring (or similar)
for things not supported by EJB 3.
IMHO, the best way to use hibernate is to develop using JPA and plugin
hibernate as the persistence provider - this was the code does not
depend on hibernate... (but it does depend on JPA)

tools, libraries, projects: I try to use the least amount possible.
Again, depends on your needs.

HTH

Ajay

EricF

What is your opinion about creating a commercial web site using
Spring/Hibernate (e.g., with Tomcat) vs using EJBs (e.g., with
JBoss); I do realize that they are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Are
there any special tools, products, libraries, etc. you
recommend for one or the other?

Thanks.

Steve
They are both viable technology stacks, and as you said, not mutually
exclusive.

Eclipse and Intellij Idea have some nice plugins for working with all of the
above.

Eric

Arne Vajhøj

Steve said:
What is your opinion about creating a commercial web site using
Spring/Hibernate (e.g., with Tomcat) vs using EJBs (e.g., with
JBoss); I do realize that they are not necessarily mutually
exclusive. Are there any special tools, products, libraries, etc. you
recommend for one or the other?

If the app is front end heavy (lots of presentation layer and controller
layer, very little business logic layer, simple data access layer)
then Tomcat is the right choice.

If the app is backend heavy because you are heavy transactional,
need message queues, interacts with multiple databases/EIS, then
you need JBoss and EJB's.

Arne