    recommend for one or the other?

    Thanks.

    Steve
    Steve, May 21, 2008

  2. Steve

    Ajay Guest

    On May 21, 1:33 pm, "Steve" <> wrote:
    > What is your opinion about creating a commercial web site using Spring/Hibernate (e.g., with Tomcat) vs using EJBs (e.g., with
    > JBoss); I do realize that they are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Are there any special tools, products, libraries, etc. you
    > recommend for one or the other?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Steve

    Depends on the requirements.
    I would use EJB 3 for what ever EJB supports, and spring (or similar)
    for things not supported by EJB 3.
    IMHO, the best way to use hibernate is to develop using JPA and plugin
    hibernate as the persistence provider - this was the code does not
    depend on hibernate... (but it does depend on JPA)

    tools, libraries, projects: I try to use the least amount possible.
    Again, depends on your needs.

    HTH

    Ajay
    Ajay, May 21, 2008

  3. Steve

    EricF Guest

    In article <D1ZYj.1347$ah.1210@trnddc06>, "Steve" <> wrote:
    >What is your opinion about creating a commercial web site using
    > Spring/Hibernate (e.g., with Tomcat) vs using EJBs (e.g., with
    >JBoss); I do realize that they are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Are
    > there any special tools, products, libraries, etc. you
    >recommend for one or the other?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Steve

    They are both viable technology stacks, and as you said, not mutually
    exclusive.

    Eclipse and Intellij Idea have some nice plugins for working with all of the
    above.

    Eric
    EricF, May 22, 2008
  4. Steve

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > What is your opinion about creating a commercial web site using
    > Spring/Hibernate (e.g., with Tomcat) vs using EJBs (e.g., with
    > JBoss); I do realize that they are not necessarily mutually
    > exclusive. Are there any special tools, products, libraries, etc. you
    > recommend for one or the other?

    If the app is front end heavy (lots of presentation layer and controller
    layer, very little business logic layer, simple data access layer)
    then Tomcat is the right choice.

    If the app is backend heavy because you are heavy transactional,
    need message queues, interacts with multiple databases/EIS, then
    you need JBoss and EJB's.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 25, 2008