Spring Python 0 .9.1 has been released

Discussion in 'Python' started by Goldfish, Dec 9, 2008.

  1. Goldfish

    Goldfish Guest

    I just released Spring Python 0.9.1. One of our users spotted an error
    in the <a href="http://springpython.webfactional.com/reference/html/
    objects.html">IoC container</a> involving constructor arguments, and I
    was able to reproduce the problem, patch it, and get it released
    quickly to the user community. You can <a href="http://s3browse.com/
    explore/dist.springframework.org/release/EXT/se-springpython-
    py/">download it right now</a>.

    Links:

    * For more information, please visit the website at
    http://springpython.webfactional.com.

    * To download the 0.9.1 release, or an archived release, and for
    access to sample applications use http://www.springsource.com/download/community?project=Spring Extensions

    I cannot emphasize enough how valuable community feedback is to the
    success of this project. If you are having issues, please <a
    href="http://lists.springsource.com/listmanager/listinfo/springpython-
    users">post an email to the list</a>, or <a href="http://
    forum.springframework.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45">start a thread at the
    community forum</a>, and we will examine the situation.

    Also note, the web site has been updated, which includes a <a
    href="http://springpython.webfactional.com/pydoc/
    springpython.html">link to API documentation</a>, generated by pydoc.
    ==============================
    Release Notes - Spring Python - Version 0.9.1

    <h2> Bug
    </h2>
    <ul>
    <li>[<a href='http://jira.springframework.org/browse/
    SESPRINGPYTHONPY-86'>SESPRINGPYTHONPY-86</a>] - XMLConfig
    doesn't properly lookup constructor-arg's, but instead returns
    ReferenceDef objects
    </li>
    </ul>
    ===============================

    Key Features of Spring Python include:

    * Inversion Of Control - The idea is to decouple two classes at
    the interface level. This lets you build many reusable parts in your
    software, and your whole application becomes more pluggable. You can
    use either the XmlApplicationContext or the
    DecoratorBasedApplicationContext.

    * Aspect-oriented Programming - Spring Python provides great ways
    to wrap advice around objects. It is utilized for remoting. Another
    use is for debug tracers and performance tracing.

    * DatabaseTemplate - Reading from the database requires a
    monotonous cycle of opening cursors, reading rows, and closing
    cursors, along with exception handlers. With this template class, all
    you need is the SQL query and row-handling function. Spring Python
    does the rest.

    * Database Transactions - Wrapping multiple database calls with
    transactions can make your code hard to read. This module provides
    multiple ways to define transactions without making things
    complicated.

    * Security - Plugin security interceptors to lock down access to
    your methods, utilizing both authentication and domain authorization.

    * Remoting - It is easy to convert your local application into a
    distributed one. If you have already built your client and server
    pieces using the IoC container, then going from local to distributed
    is just a configuration change.

    * Samples - to help demonstrate various features of Spring Python,
    some sample applications have been created:
    o PetClinic - Everybody's favorite Spring sample application
    has been rebuilt from the ground up using various web containers
    including: CherryPy. Go check it out for an example of how to use this
    framework.
    o Spring Wiki - Wikis are powerful ways to store and manage
    content, so we created a simple one as a demo!
    o Spring Bot - Use Spring Python to build a tiny bot to
    manage the IRC channel of your open source project.

    Goldfish, Dec 9, 2008