SQL Error for Database Diagrams in VS 2005 IDE

pratikrshah

I am facing with the same issue as mentioned above but the above tips
are not help me.

Here is my exact situation

I have a laptop where my complete SQL 2005 is running - meaning I have
the SQL Server Management Studio and can do Database Diagrams.

Now in my Office Desktop - I have VS 2005 and SQL Server Express
installed.

I took the .mdf from my laptop and to my desktop because i wanted to
see the tables and data already done in the laptop. All that works
fine

I also had a few database diagrams which I cannot open now thought VS
2005 IDE. Please note i dont have the full version of SQL running on
my desktop - so i have no management studio avaialbe there.

I also saw the compatbility mode. It was already 90 when i moved the
mdf from laptop to desktop and it still doesnt open in my desktop.

Please help !!!!

RobinS

Did you *detach* the database from the SQLServer instance running on your
laptop, copy the database files (both the mdf and the ldf), then re-attach
it? If you didn't detach it before copying it, maybe you got a corrupted
copy.

BTW, there is a management studio available for SQLServer Express. It's not
as robust as the real deal, but it's available. I don't know if it will do
Database Diagrams though!

I don't know what this means:
I also saw the compatbility mode. It was already 90 when i moved the
mdf from laptop to desktop and it still doesnt open in my desktop.

Robin S.

PShah

RobinS

Yes i did stop the SQL services before copying the ldf,mdf. And was
able to opne the tables through VS Studio. So definitely they were not
corrupted.

Regarding the compat mode - i found some discussion regarding to
change it to 90 - so that db diagrams can be opened through VS IDE.
That didnt help too

Any suggestions...

Thanks

RobinS

The problem is that you created the database diagrams with the full version
of SQLServer,and you're trying to open them with SQLServer Express, right?

That's like writing music for the piano, and then trying to play it on a
toy piano. ;-) I don't know how compatible it is, aside from the
datafiles, and I've only gone in the other direction (Express --> full
version).

You could try posting your question to
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.adonet and see if anyone there has any
ideas. Bill Vaugn is a SQLServer guru and sometimes answers questions
there.

And/Or post it to one of the SQLServer newgroups, like
microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming.

If you post it to both groups, post it to both at once rather than
separately, so if someone in one group answers it, the people in the other
group can see it.

Robin S.