    sql*plus to create the tables so I have the descriptions.
    Question is: is there any software that I can use
    to make diagrams from these files, ERD or otherwise?

    Betty, May 10, 2005

  2. "Betty" <> writes:

    > Question is: is there any software that I can use
    > to make diagrams from these files, ERD or otherwise?

    Once the database has been "generated" into a schema, you can use
    software like CA's ERWin to extract a model/diagram, and/or convert to
    other databases, redesign etc.

    http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=260

    But what does that have to do with Java?

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen, May 10, 2005

  3. Betty

    Malte Guest

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:
    > "Betty" <> writes:
    >

    >>Question is: is there any software that I can use
    >>to make diagrams from these files, ERD or otherwise?

    > Once the database has been "generated" into a schema, you can use
    > software like CA's ERWin to extract a model/diagram, and/or convert to
    > other databases, redesign etc.
    >
    > http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=260
    >
    > But what does that have to do with Java?

    Oracle JDeveloper can do that, at least i can provide the class
    diagrams. I am quite certain that Oracle Designer can do the same.

    Malte, May 11, 2005
  4. Betty

    Betty Guest

    "Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" <> wrote in message
    > "Betty" <> writes:
    >
    > > Question is: is there any software that I can use
    > > to make diagrams from these files, ERD or otherwise?

    > Once the database has been "generated" into a schema, you can use
    > software like CA's ERWin to extract a model/diagram, and/or convert to
    > other databases, redesign etc.
    >
    > http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=260

    Thanks, but it is $3,995.

    > But what does that have to do with Java?

    It is indirect, I access the database using Java programs.

    Betty, May 11, 2005
  5. Betty

    Bjorn Abelli Guest

    "Betty" wrote...
    > "Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" wrote...
    >> "Betty" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Question is: is there any software that I can use
    >> > to make diagrams from these files, ERD or otherwise?

    >> Once the database has been "generated" into a schema, you can use
    >> software like CA's ERWin to extract a model/diagram, and/or convert to
    >> other databases, redesign etc.
    >>
    >> http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=260

    > Thanks, but it is $3,995.

    I can recommend DBDesigner (GNU GPL), which has worked excellent when I've
    been in a need for a quick ERD.

    http://www.fabforce.net/dbdesigner4/

    Though it's specially designed to work with MySQL, it can reverse engineer
    from Oracle as well.

    // Bjorn A

    Bjorn Abelli, May 11, 2005
  6. Betty

    Guest

    , May 12, 2005
  7. Betty

    Malte Guest

    Malte, May 12, 2005
  8. Betty

    steve Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 03:41:25 +0800, Malte wrote
    (in article <4283b165$0$67260$>):

    > wrote:
    >> Oracle JDeveloper that you can download free on OTN:
    >> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev
    >>
    >> Can reverse (and forward) engineer your DB structure into diagrams.
    >> (and it can also create Java classes for these diagrams).
    >>
    >> Check out the onlin demo here:
    >> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/viewlets/10g/DatabaseModeling
    >> _viewlet_swf.html
    >>

    > Download for free, yes. Use for free: only under certain circumstances...

    oracle software is NOT "FREE", they place MOST oracle software on their
    website, including the databases.

    If you want to evaluate the software you can, but it is not to be used in
    production.

    Steve

    steve, May 13, 2005