SQL, T-SQL, or DTS to combine several data fields?

Ken Fine

I want to take the contents of many fields of various datatypes (varchars
and text) and combine them into a single "junk" field that I will perform
SQL Server free text searching upon, e.g.:

tblArticles
Title
Subtitle
ArticleText

CombinedField [Title, Subtitle, and Article text smashed together]

Is it possible to create a query or T-SQL stored proc that would do this? Is
SQL Server DTS a better approach? It needs to be built for each row in the
table, and it needs to happen regularly.

Thanks for any guidance.

-KF

Bob Barrows

Ken said:
I want to take the contents of many fields of various datatypes
(varchars and text) and combine them into a single "junk" field that
I will perform SQL Server free text searching upon, e.g.:

Have you looked into full-text catalogs and indexes? Check out SQL Books
Online. You may be re-inventing the wheel.

Bob Barrows