SQL, T-SQL, or DTS to combine several data fields?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Ken Fine, Nov 26, 2003.

  1. Ken Fine

    Ken Fine Guest

    I want to take the contents of many fields of various datatypes (varchars
    and text) and combine them into a single "junk" field that I will perform
    SQL Server free text searching upon, e.g.:

    tblArticles
    Title
    Subtitle
    ArticleText

    CombinedField [Title, Subtitle, and Article text smashed together]

    Is it possible to create a query or T-SQL stored proc that would do this? Is
    SQL Server DTS a better approach? It needs to be built for each row in the
    table, and it needs to happen regularly.

    Thanks for any guidance.

    -KF

    Ken Fine, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Ken Fine

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Ken Fine wrote:
    > I want to take the contents of many fields of various datatypes
    > (varchars and text) and combine them into a single "junk" field that
    > I will perform SQL Server free text searching upon, e.g.:

    Have you looked into full-text catalogs and indexes? Check out SQL Books
    Online. You may be re-inventing the wheel.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"