SSL Tunneling

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Andy80, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Andy80

    Andy80 Guest

    Hi everybody!

    I've to write a proxy perl script for the following purpose:

    _____________a single PC______________
    | _________ _______ |
    --------------------> | | | --------------> | | |
    --- SSL traffic ----> | |My proxy| -- plain -----> |daemon | |
    --------------------> | |_(perl)_| -- traffic ---> |_______| |
    |______________________________________|

    I've to "convert" SSL traffic into plain traffic and send it on the
    same machine but on another port. Is that possible??

    Thanks for the time,

    bye

    Andy

    Andy80, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Tim Hammerquist wrote:

    > Andy80 <> wrote:
    >> I've to write a proxy perl script for the following purpose:
    >>

    >> _____________a single PC______________
    >> | _________ _______ |
    >> --------------------> | | | --------------> | | |
    >> --- SSL traffic ----> | |My proxy| -- plain -----> |daemon | |
    >> --------------------> | |_(perl)_| -- traffic ---> |_______| |
    >> |______________________________________|
    >>

    >> I've to "convert" SSL traffic into plain traffic and send it on the
    >> same machine but on another port. Is that possible??

    > Why can't you use openssh?

    Maybe he can't get the plaintext source to feed into the SSH tunnel. Say,
    he wants to access an https web site, but decrypt it with perl and then
    pass it along as plaintext http to his browser.
    --
    Christopher Mattern

    "Which one you figure tracked us?"
    "The ugly one, sir."
    "...Could you be more specific?"

    Chris Mattern, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Andy80

    Andy80 Guest

    Chris Mattern <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Maybe he can't get the plaintext source to feed into the SSH tunnel. Say,
    > he wants to access an https web site, but decrypt it with perl and then
    > pass it along as plaintext http to his browser.

    Yes you're right! Is that possible in perl? Or I've to use OpenSSL?

    Thanks,

    Andy

    Andy80, Aug 12, 2004
  4. Andy80

    gnari Guest

    > > Maybe he can't get the plaintext source to feed into the SSH tunnel.

    Say,
    > > he wants to access an https web site, but decrypt it with perl and then
    > > pass it along as plaintext http to his browser.

    > Yes you're right! Is that possible in perl? Or I've to use OpenSSL?

    But this is totally different from the diagram that you showed us
    in your original post.

    if you want a proxy that accepts http requests and translates them into
    https, then yes, you can do it in perl (AND will need OpenSSL).
    the real question is, is it really worth the trouble?

    what is your real purpose? why can't your browser access directly
    the https web site?

    gnari

    gnari, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Andy80

    Joe Smith Guest

    Andy80 wrote:

    > Hi everybody!
    >
    > I've to write a proxy perl script for the following purpose:
    >

    > _____________a single PC______________
    > | _________ _______ |
    > --------------------> | | | --------------> | | |
    > --- SSL traffic ----> | |My proxy| -- plain -----> |daemon | |
    >

    > I've to "convert" SSL traffic into plain traffic and send it on the
    > same machine but on another port. Is that possible??

    I do it all the time, without using perl, by using openssh under
    cygwin running on Windows-XP and/or Win2K.

    cygwin% ssh username@singlepc -L 80:singlepc:80 -L 110:singlepc:110

    -Joe

    Joe Smith, Aug 23, 2004