SSL won't work - please help!

Damon

I've been beating my head against the wall on this one for hours.
Here's what I tried first:

* Import self-registered certificate into IIS 5.1 (WinXP Pro)
* Set SSL to be required, with 128-bit encryption, for the
subdirectory EmpDB off the root of the server.
* In web.config (which sits inside EmpDB), set ssl to be required in
the forms authentication.

It doesn't work at all. Here's what I get:

Using http, hit Test.aspx which is at the root of the web server.
Works.
Using http, hit the EmpDB directory (which should pick up the
Default.aspx in that directory). Errors with "this page must be viewed
over a secure channel".
Using https, hit the EmpDB directory. Get the "You are about to view
pages over a secure connection" dialog, click OK, then get "the page
cannot be displayed" error.

What gives!? What am I doing wrong?

Damon

Winista

Did you configure EmpDB as a web application in IIS? Also did you change the
option in IIS for EmpDB to use secure channel?

Damon

Damon said:
I've been beating my head against the wall on this one for hours.
Here's what I tried first:

Okay, it turns out that this isn't an ASP.NET issue, even though I
still haven't resolved it.

I tried putting a file called "Test.asp" at the root of the web server.
I'm able to access that file through http but not through https. I
shouldn't even have to require SSL in IIS for this to work, nor are
there any web.config issues since this is an asp file. It should just
work, and it's not working.

Anyway, I'll take this issue to a more appropriate forum.

Damon

Damon

Winista said:
Did you configure EmpDB as a web application in IIS? Also did you change the
option in IIS for EmpDB to use secure channel?

Yes and yes.

Frustrating, isn't it?

Damon

Damon

Figured out what was going wrong. The SSL certificate I got from the
company was bad. I tried a self-signed certificate and it worked
perfectly.

Damon