Starter Kit Application deployment

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by esha, Sep 16, 2006.

  1. esha

    esha Guest

    I have ASP.NET 2 hosting. I created my first simple WEB application from
    Personal WEB Starter Kit template.
    Everything works fine on my local machine.
    I uploaded all files to the hosting server. Pages which do not use database
    work, pages which communicate with the database do not work.
    I'm just starting to learn programming and have not enough knowledge to
    realize what's wrong. I just suspect that I have to change ConnectionString
    in WEB.config file. Now I have there:
    <connectionStrings>

    <add name="Personal" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated
    Security=True;User
    Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Personal.mdf"
    providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

    <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data
    Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User
    Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf"/>

    </connectionStrings>

    First of all I do not know what should I put there and I even doubt that
    SQLExpress may be used for a real web site.
    Any help please

    Thank you

    Esha

    esha, Sep 16, 2006

  2. You need to work with your ISP's support division and find out how they have
    SQL set up for your site. You will then have to move your database to that
    server (unless they are using SQLExpress, then you might have a few other
    hoops to jump through). Once you have the data in a database and have the
    connection string aimed to that database, your app will work.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside of the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 16, 2006

  3. esha

    esha Guest

    Thank you Cowboy
    My ISP offers SQL Server 2005. I don't know about SQLExpress. Does
    SQLExpress require any special action? I was thinking that it works similar
    to MS Access (just copy db to the appropriate folder and that's it).
    If I will move the data from SQLExpress to the SQL Server (I don't know how
    to do that yet), should I then change Connection string in web.config file
    only, or some additional actions are required?

    Esha

    message news:%...

    esha, Sep 16, 2006
  4. It is almost as easy as Access, but not quite.

    Ask your ISP if they support SQL Server 2005 file based databases. If so,
    they should be able to help you link the file up to their server. They can
    then tell you how to use it.

    If they do not, you will have to migrate the data. Since you will only have
    limited tools on the local SQL Express install, this might be a pain. The
    easiest way is to recreate the seed data as scripts. The SQL Express tools
    are minimal help here. You can download a trial of redgate's product and
    create the data insert scripts. You then connect to the ISP SQL box and run
    the sql script.

    The other option is move to Access, but depending on where they have the
    files, you may have to set the connection string based on file location,
    using MapPath. This is fairly simple. Reason: For security, some ISPs move
    the root location, which will force you to figure out the path to the .mdb
    file using Server.MapPath.

    Don't worry, it does get easier once you do it once.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside of the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Sep 16, 2006
  5. esha

    esha Guest

    Thank you
    I talked to Host technician. She said that only dedicated server can give me
    the ability to use SQLExpress, but I have Shared Server account.
    I have SQL Server 2005 installed on my development machine. I have a
    connection to the sql server on hosting server. I created the database
    (Personal) there and ran the script for tables and SPs creation. I also
    manually added (copied from SQLExpress) data into tables.
    I changed ConnectionString in web.config to:
    "Data Source=mssql4.securedca.com;Initial Catalog=chapran_personal;User
    ID=chapran_chap;Password=vovan8682;" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

    I did not make any changes to:

    <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data
    Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User
    Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf"/>

    because I have no idea what to put there and I even do not know if I have to
    use that part on the real server.

    My pages with database communication still do not work

    What else should I do?

    Esha

    message news:...

    esha, Sep 16, 2006