Starting new process from aspx page

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Wally, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. Wally

    Wally Guest

    I know this is an asp.net question but I got no answers there.

    How do you start a new visible process from a asp.net page?

    I can use:

    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start ("mspaint.exe");

    from Main() in console application and it works fine.

    When I put it in the Page_Load procedure of an aspx page, the process is
    started, as viewed from TaskManager, but nothing is visible. I've tried all
    sorts of StartInfo strings, still the same.
    I've tried all sorts of applications, including a .bat file with only a
    PAUSE statement, still wont open a command window.
    What I really want to do is open the winzip command line utility to zip some
    files up, but that seems irrelevant until I can gain control of this action.

    Any ideas would be appreciated

    Wally, Feb 20, 2006

  2. Wally

    Martin Kulov Guest

    "Wally" <> wrote in message
    >I know this is an asp.net question but I got no answers there.
    >
    > How do you start a new visible process from a asp.net page?
    >
    > I can use:
    >
    > System.Diagnostics.Process.Start ("mspaint.exe");
    >
    > from Main() in console application and it works fine.
    >
    > When I put it in the Page_Load procedure of an aspx page, the process is
    > started, as viewed from TaskManager, but nothing is visible.

    Hi Wally,
    This behavior is expected since the process that you have started belongs to
    some other instance of the desktop. Every single user e.g. ASPNET account,
    has its own desktop instance and special permissions are needed for
    accessing the desktop instance of other accounts.
    It seems pretty unnatural that you need to display paint application via web
    site call. Can you explain what are you trying to achieve, please?

    Regards,

    --
    Martin Kulov
    http://www.codeattest.com/blogs/martin

    MCAD Charter Member
    MCSD.NET Early Achiever
    MCSD

    Martin Kulov, Feb 20, 2006

  3. Wally

    Wally Guest

    Martin

    Thanks for your interest, I understand what you say, I didn't realise the
    relationship between the ASPNET account and desktops ..

    I am actually trying to zip a hierarchy of files on the server, using Winzip
    command line utility, I was using mspaint just to test the process.start
    call. When I saw nothing appear I thought there was a problem.

    Maybe it will work, so long as I need no user interaction.

    Any response appreciated.

    Wally, Feb 21, 2006
  4. Wally

    Martin Kulov Guest

    "Wally" <> wrote in message
    > Martin
    >
    > Thanks for your interest, I understand what you say, I didn't realise the
    > relationship between the ASPNET account and desktops ..
    >
    > I am actually trying to zip a hierarchy of files on the server, using
    > Winzip
    > command line utility, I was using mspaint just to test the process.start
    > call. When I saw nothing appear I thought there was a problem.

    Hi Wally,
    every single user has a designated desktop to run its applications at. The
    basic idea is that the process is actually running but you can not see its
    UI because it is started on other desktop.
    Just find a way to test your work without UI elements and you will be fine.
    For example create a trace file and log all relevant actions there.

    Best regards,

    Martin Kulov, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Wally

    Wally Guest

    Martin

    Thanks for the info.

    regards

    wally

    Wally, Feb 22, 2006
  6. Wally

    Jorge Alves Guest

    Hi!
    I want to know if it is possible to open a UI of a process calling a
    webservice.
    I read the answer. If I logon (I've changed the local policy, and webservice
    and client are all local) as the ASPNET user, I think I have the same
    desktop. I even joined the ASPNET user to the administrators (I reset the
    password too). But I can't still open an cmd window, although I see the
    process.
    Is it possible? How?

    Jorge Alves, Nov 30, 2007
  7. Wally

    Tiago Halm Guest

    Jorge,

    Its not about being possible, its not even logic or expected. Why would you
    need a page to do open a UI on the server side? No one will be able to
    interact with that UI anyway ...

    Tiago Halm

    Tiago Halm, Dec 6, 2007