Steve Orrs Dropdown calendar

Guest

Ive read and used the dropdown calendar found at
http://steveorr.net/articles/DropDownCalendar.aspx

It works just fine except when it drops down over other wiondowed controls
such as a drop down list. Since the calendar is a socalled non-windowed
control it will never be able to position over a windowed control.

I was wondering if anyone has a solution to this?

clintonG

Yes, there are two ways to avoid this.

* Relocate the controls (obvious)
* Wrap the web control(s) in a div and use DHTML to disable the visibility
of the div containing the web controls when using the calendar. (skill
required)

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
MAP 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W : 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W

Mark Rae

* Relocate the controls (obvious)

That's what I do wherever possible.
* Wrap the web control(s) in a div and use DHTML to disable the visibility
of the div containing the web controls when using the calendar. (skill
required)

Doesn't that simply hide everything apart from the calendar control...?

clintonG

Haven't you used a Panel control? It renders as a div. When we use
server-side code to toggle MyPanel.Visible = "false"; the client-side
results are rendered as <div style="display:none;"> making whatever is
contained within the Panel go poof! unable to be seen or used.

So we can do the same thing using our own div if neccessary but I just read
through Steve's article -- quickly -- and he says the calendar will hover
over other controls the same way a DropDownList will so I am a bit confused.

Regardless, since Steve includes source with his control simply modify his
JavaScript OnClick event handler to also set display:none on your div if in
fact his control does not "hover and cover" as his article infers.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
MAP 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W : 43°2'17"N 88°2'37"W

Mark Rae

Haven't you used a Panel control?

Yes - many times.
It renders as a div.

Yes, I know.
When we use server-side code to toggle MyPanel.Visible = "false"; the
client-side results are rendered as <div style="display:none;"> making
whatever is contained within the Panel go poof! unable to be seen or used.

Nope - when we use server-side code to toggle MyPanel.Visible = "false";
neither the panel nor any of its contents is rendered at all - haven't you
used a Panel control...?

flodpanter

Thanks for the replies.

I did run into this problem some years ago. Obviously i dont want the
underlying controls to disappear completely. I solved it then placing
my drop down content in an iframe, which is a windowed control and then
using the z-index of the windowed controls to do the trick.
I gues the same approach could be used here, but I dont really like
dealing with Iframes...I may rethink the design a bit.....