Stock Quote Order Level Book

Discussion in 'C++' started by Lorn, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. Lorn

    Lorn Guest

    I'm going to be attempting my most challenging programming task to date
    and was wondering if I could get some input on what would be the most
    efficient way of working with stock price quote data for an entire
    order book. I'm working with a raw text data stream that delivers
    quotes in realtime for each price level with the quantity of shares,
    the ID of the exchange that is honoring the quote, and the side of the
    market it is on. For instance, a typical feed might look something like
    this:

    Symbol, Side, Price, Shares, ID

    XYZ, S, 33.02, 100, ARCA
    XYZ, B, 33.01, 200, NYSE
    XYZ, B, 33, 1000, NYSE
    XYZ, S, 33.02, 0, ARCA

    A quote is deemed as having been removed from the book when a share
    size of 0 is received, as in the last quote received above.

    I'd like to have the data sorted into two containers (bidSide and
    askSide) by price into an order book in realtime... but I'm having a
    difficult time deciding on the best way to do this due to the fact that
    it should be the most efficient design possible regarding speed. If
    anyone has some experience with this type of data or could suggest a
    possible route (lists, maps, or, etc.?), it would be hugely appreicated
    as I'm definitely taking on a bit more than I can chew.

    Many thanks,
    Lorn Davies
    Lorn, Dec 8, 2005