Storing responses of applets in html pages

amateur

Hi,
I am developing a online survey. I ran into a small problem that I
haven't been able to get around.

Basically,I am running a java program in the background using a value
entered by the survey respondent in one of the text box fields in the
html page. Now, this java program returns a value and I need to
capture that value and write it to a file when the respondent submits
the form. I tried creating some invisible text boxes and assigning the
text box values to the value returned by the java function. For some
reason, this is not happening. Also, I am using some applets in my
survey and the applets have some radio buttons in them. I need to
capture the respondent's choice and write it to a file when the
respondent submits the form.

Can somebody help me find a way to get around this problem??

I suspect I can accomplish this using Java servlets but is there any
other easier way of accomplishing this?

Thanks a bunch,
Harry.