strange file upload behaviour (404 with one pdf but not with another)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by mikecom@gmx.net, Jun 26, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    Maybe there is an oracle out there who can help.

    I have an aspx site and a simple fileupload control on it.
    Everything works fine except:
    I can reproduce an 404 error when trying to upload some files.
    It only happens when trying to upload PDF Files, and not on every PDF
    File.

    Let me illustrate this
    xy.pdf - upload no problem
    ab.pdf - 404 - Cannot find server or DNS Error

    There are more pdf's where the problem occurs and also some others
    where it does not..

    The error comes within a millisecond as if IE does not try to upload.

    What the heck is this...?
    , Jun 26, 2006

    i bet you the one that doesn't work is over 4 megs right?

    wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Maybe there is an oracle out there who can help.
    >
    > I have an aspx site and a simple fileupload control on it.
    > Everything works fine except:
    > I can reproduce an 404 error when trying to upload some files.
    > It only happens when trying to upload PDF Files, and not on every PDF
    > File.
    >
    > Let me illustrate this
    > xy.pdf - upload no problem
    > ab.pdf - 404 - Cannot find server or DNS Error
    >
    > There are more pdf's where the problem occurs and also some others
    > where it does not..
    >
    > The error comes within a millisecond as if IE does not try to upload.
    >
    > What the heck is this...?
    , Jun 26, 2006

    max upload size in asp.net is 4 MB

    you can change this in web.config:

    <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="size in kbytes" />

    asp.net uploads files into memory, so a 1 GB upload will take 1 GB of
    memory on your server. if you want to upload big files, you'll need to
    buy an upload component that streams uploaded files to disk.

    wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Maybe there is an oracle out there who can help.
    >
    > I have an aspx site and a simple fileupload control on it.
    > Everything works fine except:
    > I can reproduce an 404 error when trying to upload some files.
    > It only happens when trying to upload PDF Files, and not on every PDF
    > File.
    >
    > Let me illustrate this
    > xy.pdf - upload no problem
    > ab.pdf - 404 - Cannot find server or DNS Error
    >
    > There are more pdf's where the problem occurs and also some others
    > where it does not..
    >
    > The error comes within a millisecond as if IE does not try to upload.
    >
    > What the heck is this...?
    , Jun 26, 2006

    Bet won!

    That was the problem...

    Tanks a lot!
    wrote:
    > max upload size in asp.net is 4 MB
    >
    > you can change this in web.config:
    >
    > <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="size in kbytes" />
    >
    > asp.net uploads files into memory, so a 1 GB upload will take 1 GB of
    > memory on your server. if you want to upload big files, you'll need to
    > buy an upload component that streams uploaded files to disk.
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Maybe there is an oracle out there who can help.
    > >
    > > I have an aspx site and a simple fileupload control on it.
    > > Everything works fine except:
    > > I can reproduce an 404 error when trying to upload some files.
    > > It only happens when trying to upload PDF Files, and not on every PDF
    > > File.
    > >
    > > Let me illustrate this
    > > xy.pdf - upload no problem
    > > ab.pdf - 404 - Cannot find server or DNS Error
    > >
    > > There are more pdf's where the problem occurs and also some others
    > > where it does not..
    > >
    > > The error comes within a millisecond as if IE does not try to upload.
    > >
    > > What the heck is this...?
    , Jun 27, 2006